Mini humbucker replacements

Jibbs

• Members

Hey I have a 2004 epi firebird VII with three stock mini humbuckers that I find a little muddy for my liking. I'm look to replace them soon and I am looking for input on my options for my situation. I play mostly blues, indie, and rock.

• Members

My only extensive experience with mini-buckers is with the ones I've used in the neck position of Teles/Strats. My favorite for that application is the Seymour Duncan SM-1 Vintage mini-bucker. Very punchy and articulate and not muddy at all in the couple of guitars I've used them in. Right now I have one in the neck position of my Strat/Tele hybrid.

I just picked up a Duncan Antiquity as well. I haven't installed it in anything yet, but I've heard they're fantastic pickups.

I've also tried the GFS Mini Bird and it was way too muddy for my tastes. It sounded great distorted, but it was almost useless for cleans. I've heard that the Little Crunchy one is much better.

• Members

First off, try the stock PU's lowered some. If your PU's are too close the strings, everything because a big midrange mess, they will grow more articulate and wider sounding lower. But once you pass the sweet spot, they will start to get anemic.

Otherwise the SD SM-1's recommended above may work well. SD makes the Firebird mini's differently than Gibson, actually, they are built closer to Gibson's LP Deluxe/Epiphone mini's, they should prove more...as Tweedledee said...articulate.

• Members

First off, try the stock PU's lowered some. If your PU's are too close the strings, everything because a big midrange mess, they will grow more articulate and wider sounding lower. But once you pass the sweet spot, they will start to get anemic.

Otherwise the SD SM-1's recommended above may work well. SD makes the Firebird mini's differently than Gibson, actually, they are built closer to Gibson's LP Deluxe/Epiphone mini's, they should prove more...as Tweedledee said...articulate.

Good call on the height adjustment, Wyatt. Mini-buckers can be quite sensitive to height differences much like P90s, so lowering them might at least help the muddiness. If you've already tried that, however, and are still unsatisfied, then replacing them is probably the way to go.

Archived