Quicktime/iTunes vulnerability given 10/10 danger rating: Win and Mac

• Members

Now, now... no need to misquote the guy (or girl?)

In all seriousness -- OK, maybe not all -- if you, Lakisha, think that this is a "nothing problem" -- then it seems like a NO BRAINER -- just don't install that emergency patch that Apple rushed out to protect QT users from this "nothing problem."

Put your computer where your mouth is, as it were...

;)

I am, however,somewhat concerned that you seem INTENT on misrepresenting my comments about the Mac platform, though. I think I went to some effort to defend that platform and Apple in general. Nowhere in this thread did I attack the Mac platform.

In fact here is one thing I DID say: "I, for instance, have great admiration for many aspects of the Mac platform and think (as I think I said above) Apple has much to teach the rest of the industry about some aspects of packaging the computer experience."

So, "Lakisha," next time you decide to attack me -- maybe you had better get it straight just what I'm saying.

You could make an enemy by going out of your way to misrepresent the utterances of a vituperous old crank like me. And the results of that might not be pretty...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ooh.

I've just been shot down. By a guy with two posts. (Or a guy who created a whole new identity just to give me both barrels of his thoughts on the matter quasi-anonymously. Which is, cynic that I am, what I suspect. Heck, I even have a pretty good idea who I think it is.)

I just don't know how I'm ever going to get over this...

(smilies)

BTW... last time I checked the "update" was full price, about $30 for version 7. There appears to be no fix for my 6.5 version. And my dinner last night cost under 2 dollars. So, you know... Same to you, buddy!

OK. DONE. blue2blue collapses in a pool of his own sweat

• Members

that about sums up your post... i wouldnt pay a DIME for a crap app like QT, sorry dude. i hate it only slightly less on my MAC than on my PC.

Yo, anyone who misquote someone is not only a little bitch, is someone who says to the whole world "DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY BECAUSE I WILL MAKE UP {censored} TO WIN A ARGUMENT"

You all so emotional about your dam computers. Thats why I jumped on to post. Its funny. You lie if you gotta lie. You edit after edit to get it just right. Its like you care so much about it its not real.

I just gotta laugh.

Peace

• Members

Yo check it out its mad funny.

I wrote my piece and went away and had my computer check up on the thread. Jus like you said I put my computer where my mouth is "as it were."

I come back and heres a whole list a things that blue2blue has been writing about my what i said. Hes spending all this time on trying to make it sound like its no big when it obviously is check it out

EDIT 1

EDIT 2

EDIT 3

EDIT 4 gettin sweaty now

EDIT 5 Ok smilies added see Im chill

EDIT 6 cant let go cant let go

EDIT 7 needs more offense yeah more offense

EDIT 8 dam now I gotta sound more chill

EDIT 9 waita sec now I sound too {censored}

OK. DONE. blue2blue collapses in a pool of his own sweat

That is so utterly cool!

I was beside myself reading it.

Yeah, I'll edit something until someone posts ("crossed post quotes" are, of course, problematic, so I always try to make sure I read the particular quote rather than simply assume it was the last edit) -- or until some bright, shiny object otherwise gets my attention.

Really, that's nothing. You should see some of the revision histories my posts have gone through when I've got a head of steam. (And, of course, maybe you have.) I didn't characterize myself as a "vituperous old crank" for nothing.

And I'm comfortable with that. With self-knowledge comes acceptance. And freedom.

Anyhow, I'm greatly amused and feel compelled to tip my hat to you on your efforts here.

It pretty much made my day.

Have a nice day. Really.

;)

• Members

I dunno, man - I agree it's a bitch, but considering that a) Quicktime 7 was released 2 years ago, and b) it's a full-point release with a substantial amount of additional functionality, paying $29.95 just doesn't seem that big of a deal.

• Members

Windows doesn't charge Mac owners for Windows Media Player.

:D :D :D

I did a spit-take.

I can definitely and enthusiastically say that -- vulnerabilities included -- I like Quicktime Pro better than WMP. And WIndows Moviemaker thrown in on the side.

No question.

I know some folks actually like WMP and, you know, that's how I know that it really is a big world and everyone's mileage really does vary.

PS... Knowing that people are counting my edits is really throwing off my rhythm here. I always thought of the time I spent editing my posts as, you know, contemplative, private time.

• Members
Windows doesn't charge Mac owners for Windows Media Player.

Microsoft has stopped updating WMP for the Mac. You have to use Flip4Mac. Maybe Microsoft is just plain too old, and can't handle the technological fast lane (private joke).

The problem I have with any player is when it tries to take over your computer. Both QuickTime and Windows Media Player pale in the annoyance factor compared to Real Player...too bad Real Player produces better videos than either one for the same amount of bandwidth. :(

• Members

Happily, there's a mostly quite usable alternative to the Real Player called Real Alternative. I use it and it works great for basic Real Media audio and video. It doesn't do much of the SMIL stuff, so RealMedia slideshows don't work. (My world went on.)

Mostly the only place I run into Real media these days is on public radio and some broadcaster sites.

But VLC is my (what's the new word for go-to?) favorite all round media player.

And the (I believe) open source Super is my favorite media translator/converter, right now. It really covers an extraordinary range of formats.

• Members

Right, QT Pro is what I have. I bought it to deal with the .mov files from my digicam.

I bought QTP 6.5 not too long before 7 came out. At a certain point friends started sending me files that it wouldn't open. I'd check for updates and get the message from Apple: no updates available. Finally, it got ridiculous and I went to the Apple site and realized QTP 7 had been out for sometime, along with the ability to play "Mp4" generation media. I thought, no prob, I'll buy the update from 6.5 to 7, how much could it be, the whole thing was only $30 or so. Well, it was $30. I drew the line.

Anyhow... it's all over between me and QTPro as of about two minutes from now. Yesterday I went through Firefox's media associations and changed everything to either WinAmp or VLC and today, because I ran QTPro -- all those associations are changed back.

Also, I realized when I went to a friend's record company's site to watch his video and it didn't play the visuals because it was a recent codec, that in the unlikely event my buddy's label was a malicious site, I'd be infected right now.

So, yeah... find all those media associations changed back on top of the realization that a malicious website is all too real a possibility is pretty much it.

My QTP days are over.

ADDENDUM: I'm back in the peanut gallery with the free version of 7.1. We'll see how it behaves itself. I was pleasantly surprised by its modest reach for my file associations. I only slapped its hand back on one thing, I think. Anyhow, I finally saw my buddy's band's video and it looked fine. We'll see how this goes.

• Members

Yesterday I went through Firefox's media associations and changed everything to either WinAmp or VLC and today, because I ran QTPro -- all those associations are changed back.

You have to delete all those dll files that

Quicktime puts in in FireFox's "plugins" folder.

And, once you've deleted 'em from there,

and they come back again you have to

delete them from the actual Quicktime folder.

You know the dlls I mean?

Their names all start with npqt i think....

Can't remember for sure because I've deleted 'em all.;)

• Members

Yeah, disabling Java will do it. People LOVED that when Apple suggested it prior to releasing the fix.

For that matter, you could uninstall your web browser - that should keep you safe from nasty web sites...or better still, remove your network card entirely. :idea:

• Members

There's a note on the
Mozillazine Quicktime Page
warning that

Quicktime Alternative 1.75 and earlier is also affected by this

"vulnerability"!

Thanks for the warning!!!

But I actually climbed back onto the back of the beast :D -- throwing away my investment in QT Pro (which is too bad in art least one way -- like I said, I've always given it props as a basic, pretty light on its feet vid editor) and switching to QT free 7.1

• Members

Yeah, disabling Java will do it. People LOVED that when Apple suggested it prior to releasing the fix.

For that matter, you could uninstall your web browser - that should keep you safe from nasty web sites...or better still, remove your network card entirely.
:idea:

Give the man a cee-gar!

Actually, I'd alread turned off Java in FF -- but it was not being able to use QTP 6.5 to watch Mp4s embedded in web pages that finally tore it. I just felt left behind...

Because I was hanging onto QTP 6.5 and my $30 investment I was not able to see the stuff other folks could see fine -- and safely -- for free. (But like I said, it meant giving up the basic vid editing in QTP, which was the thing about it I did use and why I kept it around. Oh well. Life's about tradeoffs and sometimes they tick you off. Whachya gonna do but bitch? And I've done that. ;) )

Fretwizz -- I'll have to check out noscript! (That said, I have certain things I do have to run, since I do, heh, web dev.)

• Members
Microsoft has stopped updating WMP for the Mac. You have to use Flip4Mac. Maybe Microsoft is just plain too old, and can't handle the technological fast lane (private joke).

You gotta be kidding me if you think thats a private joke since its only what ever person in the world has been saying for the past what like 10 years. OK statman (now thats a private joke). Microsoft worth 300 billion but they got 75 thou working there and thats 75 thousand OLD people. Googles worth a cool 150 bill with only 12 thou working there and thats 12 thou YOUNG people. Gee I wonder whose handling the "technological fast lane" better? No wonder Yahoo which aint so young itself but aint no MicroGERIATRICsoft neither went balistic when microsoft tried to eat its ass up this past week. Yahoo didnt want to have to put on suits and ties and work on exciting new projects like reinventin hmmmmmm the TYPEWRITER :eek:

Peace.

• Members

But really... what are you gonna miss out on by disabling/uninstalling Java?

Not much.

Remember : Java is not Javascript...

• Members

You gotta be kidding me if you think thats a private joke since its only what ever person in the world has been saying for the past what like 10 years.

Yeah it was a joke! I thought you'd appreciate the irony. Don't even get me started on a company that thought the Zune was a cool concept. Extra points if you remember their Bob thingie.

Archived