R9 neck thickness?

ilovemystrat

• Members

The necks are all roughly the same size across the R9's. They are hand shaped so there is some variation, but they will all be around the .920" range at the 1st fret.

You need thin, you'll have to pony up the $$$ for a R0.

• Members

1960 reissue.

they're usually a little cheaper than R9s, fwiw.

Yeah, I was surprised to just notice that. They used to be, by far, the most expensive Historic (they used to be a solid $2K more than the R9), and feature with the nicest tops.

• Members

Wyatt is quite right, the neck thicknesses will differ slightly, but not by a big deal. Of my 3 R9's each is slightly different in terms of depth. All are beautifully comfy though.

This pic might be useful to you; though keep in mind the bottom is a Classic, not an R0.

Neckprofiles.jpg

• Members

aenemated, which one do you recommend for my first big gibson purchase?

the R0 or the R9?

I would try both. There is a big difference in the feel of the necks.

And I would really spend time with them. Some people find thinner necks contribute to more hand fatigue (they feel the thicker necks give your hand a more ergonomic position) while others just find thick necks too uncomfortable or unwieldy.

• Members

the R0 or the R9?

yeah, like wyatt said, you're REALLY gonna want to try them out - you may be surprised at which one feels better to you. i'd always read and heard that the pre-'59 style necks were enormous. i'd had a late 70s deluxe a couple years ago that had a monstrous neck on it and i absolutely hated it, so i figured anything bigger than a R9 - that felt smaller to me than the deluxe i had AND i'd played a ton of at the time but hadn't found "the one" yet - would be equally intolerable.

then, just for {censored}s and giggles, i played an R7 ... which was definitely bigger than the R9, but i totally loved it. and it's still my very, very favorite LP, even though the neck is pretty damn fat.

so ya never know. both R9s and R0's are equally super-{censored}in-awesome from a build and sound standpoint (though i WILL say the sound really seems fatter to me on the fatter neck'd ones) - so it comes down to how they each feel to you. just play as many as you can get your hands on till you find the ONE.

good luck, dude!

• Members

the R0 or the R9?

If you want a fat neck like the R9 but don't mind a plain top and the $2K lower price tag (I should hope that you wouldn't mind that :p), check out the R8's. The only difference sound-wise is that they have medium instead of jumbo frets like the R9.

• Members

You get the best in Japan!

Have fun man, and report back!

yea, they just opened a pretty much "gibson only store" in ochanomizu, the second floor has about 100 gibson les paul customs... the 3rd floor has all the rest of gibson models, johnny a or sgs 335 135s...

whcih ones should i try again?

• Members

If you want a fat neck like the R9 but don't mind a plain top and the $2K lower price tag (I should hope that you wouldn't mind that
:p
), check out the R8's. The only difference sound-wise is that they have medium instead of jumbo frets like the R9.

This is interesting to me, I didn't know the Historic line years had different size frets. So R9's have jumbo's, and R8's have medium jumbos?

Do you happen to know if the R7's have medium or jumbo?

I'd really like to buy a Historic LP, and had thought I'd wind up with an R8 or R7, because I've read they have the biggest necks, which is why I want one in the first place.

But if the R9 is the only one that has jumbo instead of medium jumbos, this throws the whole equation off a bit. I don't want to pay the extra money for the R9 top since I don't care about that, plus I've read that the R9 neck thickness is smaller than the R7 and R8.

I want a neck thickness of an R7 or R8, but with jumbo frets, not medium jumbos.

Archived