why are gibson reissues (especially les pauls) so expensive?

ilovemystrat

• Members

Because platinum has more letters in it---DUH:)

ahh!!! I forgot about the letter to price ratio!!! thanks...

now if you'll excuse me.... I have to invest some money in magnesium..... I have a good feeling about this one... I mean look at the price of gold!!! and magnesium has more than twice the letters!!!!

• Members

Absolutely!

Economics 101 - You price a product at whatever the market will bear. That's the most basic business concept there is.

+1000 - anybody whining about the prices should go take an economics class... and after that, just STFU!

An item's "worth" is completely based on what people are willing to pay. So, for someone to say Historic LPs aren't "worth" the price is utterly ridiculous.

My LPs are worth every penny I paid for them or else I would not have bought them.

Go ask someone on a Beanie Baby forum if their little bean bag animal is "worth" a couple hundred bucks and then keep whining about LPs.

• Members

+1000 - anybody whining about the prices should go take an economics class... and after that, just STFU!

An item's "worth" is completely based on what people are willing to pay. So, for someone to say Historic LPs aren't "worth" the price is utterly ridiculous.

My LPs are worth every penny I paid for them or else I would not have bought them.

Go ask someone on a Beanie Baby forum if their little bean bag animal is "worth" a couple hundred bucks and then keep whining about LPs.

Great, another armchair economist who thinks he's smarter than the rest :blah:

I'm going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about, but if you can tell me what kind of good you think Gibson produces that defies the law of demand, I'm willing to retract that statement.

• Members

Great, another armchair economist who thinks he's smarter than the rest
:blah:

I'm going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about, but if you can tell me what kind of good you think Gibson produces that defies the law of demand, I'm willing to retract that statement.

The supply and demand model is really only a model in the situation of perfect competition. In terms of Gibson Historic Les Pauls, we don't REALLY have perfect competition, since last I checked, Gibson is the ONLY company that makes Historic Les Pauls. The market we are discussing is not the "guitar market," but rather the "Historic Les Paul market." Those may overlap, but can also be treated separately. People who are in the market for "guitars" do not influence the price of Historic Les Pauls, just as people who are in the market for Toyota Corollas don't really have an effect on the price of Ferraris.

If you consider Historic LPs in the "guitar" market though, they would be referred to as "Veblen goods." Veblen goods are products "for which peoples' preference for buying them increases as a direct function of their price, instead of decreasing according to the theory of supply and demand." (Quote from Wikipedia)

But then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about...

• Members

fair enough, i do disagree with the chambering. they should give you the option!! but anyway, my Gibby is from 2005 so it just has the normal weight relief holes......

they do give that option for 2008 and i actually prefer the chambered one... its a bit lighter and no so dark

Archived