Opinions????

Ani

• Members

So, the fact that a number of the images are tilted isn't really bothering anyone but me?

In some images it's not a big deal as there are few visual cues... but I have to say that skyscrapers that are not perpendicular to the horizon (when they should be) are a problem for me. It's a relatively quick fix (though, of course, not completely without consequences in a bitmap).

Anyow, some delightful pics, that issue notwithstanding.

;)

PS... "Union Station Fountain" and "Snow Pine" are particularly off...

• Members

So, the fact that a number of the images are tilted isn't really bothering anyone but me?

In some images it's not a big deal as there are few visual cues... but I have to say that skyscrapers that are not perpendicular to the horizon (
when
they should be) are a problem for me. It's a relatively quick fix (though, of course, not completely without consequences in a bitmap).

Anyow, some delightful pics, that issue notwithstanding.

;)

PS... "Union Station Fountain" and "Snow Pine" are particularly off...

Hi Blue,

On the Snow Pine photo, the trees are located at the flat beginning of rolling slopes. Just out of curiosity I reopened the photo in Shop and put the guidelines to it.... These are the results...

snopine.jpg

Using the trunks of the trees to square the photo out, you will see that the horizon has a gradual decline in elevation, but the trees all stand straight upward. Also, using one of the tree trunks to square out the sun, the sun is divided exactly in half and not at a slant. I have some other shots that I took at that setting that better display the slopes and the drifting of the snow, but I was at the end of my rope on sleep last night and my daughter distracted me before I could sort through the other photos to get "the best shots"... That one, I think is cool because of the contrast of the trees against the snow... The others, the UV rays were extremely intense with the sun just barely peeping over the horizon and the snow actually has an orange (golden) glow to it.... I'm now on my days off, so maybe I can get a little more serious with time commitments to this project.

On Union Station.... using the sky scrapers along the "BACKGROUND" horizon to square the photo out... here is the result for that pic...

Union.jpg

The guidelines along the back skyscapers are square with each other and they square out with the frame as well. Although, the immediate cluster of buildings surrounding the station, and the station itself, appear to be lopsided along the roof tops. However, if you look at the guidelines on the station's vertical lines on the front of the building, they line up with the others.... if I were to crop the photo to where Union Station's roof top was squared with the frames of the photo, then the other taller buildings along the back side would be slanted.... It's a matter of perspective...

Once I get around to it, I'll probably pull out the snowpine and put in some of my stellar shots from that photoshoot.

Maybe I'm all wrong about this, and I need to take some more current courses on technique and composition. I do know that I grabbed a couple of the wrong shots when putting up the photos of Bartle and the 4 towers, and also Kaw Point (river on the city view) I've got better shots than the ones posted.

Whenever I go out, I go equipped to take about 275 high resolution photos... 1gig + 256mg memory sticks and battery life of 3 lithium-ion batteries. Of all the photos I shoot in one setting, sometimes I may get 75 good shots within a 3 to 6 hour outing... other times I feel lucky if I am able to capture 2 or 3 stellar shots having spent a whole day out; those outings that yeild fewer results are more challenging and they are more satisfying if I target a subject that is not as easy to capture as random shots that just happen to catch my eye. Digital photography has a lot of variables involved... it's not a matter of point a shoot; especially when dealing with night shots, unlevel terrains, and WIND... Extreme temperatures present risk factors that can easily damage equipment and render digital cameras inoperable if caution is not used in every aspect...

• Members

I'm kind of embarrassed about the Snow Pine photo -- I thought that was a body of water in back of the foreground trees -- not a snowfield as now I realize it must be!

Sorry about the false alarm on that one.

On this Union Station shot I think you can see that the buildings are off -- but it's subtle, for sure and may be somewhat related to the lens. You can really see it in the big, beige building behind the fountain.

But -- anyhow -- that one (which you titled "Kansas City's Union Station" wasn't the one I was talking about. It was the one titled "Union Station Fountain." If you zoom into the window grid you can see it's a few degrees off.

But, anyhow, nice stuff. I really like the new duck shots, too, in addition to the ones I mentioned before. Lots of good stuff!

• Members

Actually, in doing another Shop evaluation of SnowPine, notice the flat level is accented by a street that is concealed by the level layers in the photo...

The street that separates the landscaped median from the rolling slopes has a pronounced horizontal line just behind the trees and before the scape of snow. The horizontal line squares out with the frame...

snoooooooopine.jpg

However, when something creates ill reception to viewing; it makes one think about the overall success of the presentation. I know that horizontal lines are a BIGGIE (controversial foe) for photographers... I try to keep them in perspective whenever I come across them and often avoid them when shooting. However, they can be very complimentary if used correctly and with taste.

• Members

On this Union Station shot I think you can see that the buildings are off -- but it's subtle, for sure and may be somewhat related to the lens. You can really see it in the big, beige building behind the fountain.

But -- anyhow -- that one (which you titled "Kansas City's Union Station" wasn't the one I was talking about. It was the one titled "Union Station Fountain." If you zoom into the window grid you can see it's a few degrees off.

Ah... yes.... the fountain pic is a pain in the arse photo that I've not really spent much time with. I've got some others that were taken at my normal high res that I now use. That particular picture is one that was taken LOW res of only 640 x ? pixels at a presidential rally. What is so really cool about that shot to me is the fact that the fountain was backlit by the rally taking place behind it. The blue tones created by the spotlights on the stage located behind the fountain were awesome. I have other photos of the same fountain that display it's NORMAL (usual) amber glow during the nightime. I'd never really be able to sell "that" photo, but the unexpected capture of the backlight is a display of technique that can dramatically alter the normal view of an image. I know that I should really take both photos, that one and the presidential rally shot, down. I wanted the rally shot up for a display of "event" shooting.

• Members

You just wanna rub my face in this one, huh? :D :D :D

Nah... I remember thinking the trees didn't match the "pond" but I didn't pursue that enough. I definitely muffed that one, entirely!

I like to shoot my town's downtown skyline and have to watch my temptation to use/abuse the wide angle. The line of the coast complicates things by sometimes suggesting a false horizon.

I wrestled with this one for quite a while before I was almost happy with it.

Dscn0476-cropped-616x293.jpg

In fact, even looking at it right now... it looks off. Maybe this bulletin board is just tilted. Have we considered that?

;)

• Members

unionstat.jpg

Here is the fountain squared off with the rise of the water that shoots straight up.

Union Station itself is a unique shaped building with lots of architectural deviations in it's structure. There are a LOT of arches, insets, curves, and rounded pillars on the outside of the building, and the inside is just FABULOUS in its' design. Now, the "other" fountain picture, AmberGlow is of the same fountain during it's normal nighttime view without the backlight. THAT one bugs me because it is offset to the left just a hair.... I've thought about going ahead and cropping it because it definitely has a LOT higher resolution than the rally pics.

• Members

You just wanna rub my face in this one, huh?
:D

Nah... I remember thinking the trees didn't match the "pond" but I didn't pursue that enough. I definitely muffed that one, entirely!

I like to shoot my town's downtown skyline and have to watch my temptation to use/abuse the wide angle. The line of the coast complicates things by sometimes suggesting a false horizon.

I wrestled with
this
one for quite a while before I was
almost
happy with it.

Dscn0476-cropped-616x293.jpg

In fact, even looking at it right now... it looks off. Maybe this bulletin board is just tilted. Have we considered
that?

;)

The very bottom of the shelf cloud hanging just above the skyline provides a very pronounced horizontal line that allows one to see that the city is not slanted. :D

I wasn't trying to rub your nose it snow pine... I was actually posting that message before I had read your reply to the other.

I really try to keep technique in mind when shooting, other than shooting directly into the sun where I can't see a thing... blind shooting... and hoping for the best. ;) I need a camera umbrella for some of my full sun shots.

• Members

I was kiddin', of course -- though I deserve it... all the cues were there for me to realize it was not a pond but snow (for instance "snow" in the title and, of course, the fact that the trees were pointed pretty much straight up in the pic, like, you know, you'd expect... :D ). Yuh, I blew that one.

And, you're right about the Union Station, there are a lot of architectural features that are simply not perpendicular but tapered, etc. By the time I zoomed into the window frame in the screenshot I grabbed, I felt like it was really the other cues I was mostly responding to and that I was having to look pretty hard to find a presumably perpendicular line. But it did look like the vertical panes there seem just a tiny bit off perpendicular... but I realize I'm now holding my own head sideways as I type this, like a perplexed dog, so you can see what this all has done to me...

;)

• Members

I was kiddin', of course -- though I deserve it... all the cues were there for me to realize it was
not
a pond but snow (for instance "snow" in the title and, of course, the fact that the trees were pointed pretty much straight up in the pic, like, you know, you'd expect...
). Yuh, I blew that one.

And, you're right about the Union Station, there are a lot of architectural features that are simply not perpendicular but tapered, etc. By the time I zoomed into the window frame in the screenshot I grabbed, I felt like it was really the other cues I was mostly responding to and that I was having to look pretty hard to find a presumably perpendicular line. But it did look like the vertical panes there seem just a tiny bit off perpendicular... but I realize I'm now holding my own head sideways as I type this, like a perplexed dog, so you can see what this all has done to me...

;)

I don't have time to adequately work with completely redoing the city shot of Union, but I played with it just a bit. The slight 2 degrees that evens out the roof line of U.S. does not throw the skyscrapers out of line.... I have my external hard drive that my high res photos are stored on hooked up on my other computer right now, and I don't work with graphics on that system because of the LED flat panel... It's beautiful with the system, but the old timer CRT monitors... as the one I do graphics on, blow the other one out of the water. Fancy can't compare to quality tools to work with; the CRT's are cumbersome in size, but there's a reason for keeping them around... definitely.

I have to go pick up my sister for a day of photo shooting at the zoo right now... I promised her I would take her for the classes she is taking right now at college... She just bought a camera... as nice, if not nicer than mine. Could prove to be an interesting day.

Now that one pic is bugging me and I'll not be rested until it's remedied. The backlit fountain, well I took it down..... the backlit fountain still appears in the Presidential Rally "full event" shot.

I put some more photos up.

Archived