Advice on Strings

albiedamned

• Members

I'm a novice player who started playing last fall. I have two guitars right now, an Epi Dot and a PRS SE Singlecut. I don't know much about strings, and I am bewildered by the multitude of options out there. I had a setup done on my Dot and I had 11's put on there. I believe the guy used D'Addario, but I don't know which variety. The PRS is a year old (I bought it used) and it still has the original strings. Someone told me it has 9's. It does definitely feel thinner than the Dot.

I like the thicker strings on the Dot because I've been using it for a fuller, rounder tone. But beyond that I really don't know what sort of strings I should be looking for. I've been using the PRS as an all-purpose guitar - clean rhythm, clean leads, overdriven/distorted leads.

Can anyone give me some general tips on the differences between the brands and the varieties within each brand, and maybe some suggestions on what I should consider? Thanks!

• Members

I think coated strings are the way to go. Better value. Saves time because you need to deal with fewer string changes. My personal choice is Elixir Nanoweb but the others are perfectly fine as well.

• Members

Everyone has their own different taste when it comes to strings. I have been usuing daddario strings for the last 10 years and I am happy with them. Occaisionally if I need a set and the store does not have them I will try something else but I keep going back to them. If you like 11's then it would be Daddario XL 11-49, personally I bend alot and prefer to use the daddario XL 10-46.

• Members

Same here in regard to the D'Addario string.. I always go back... but strings like everythign else, is somethign you just have to find out for yourself. Try a set each time you change 'em and see which you like. Some have inherent characteristics (such as how they are wrapped around the ball) that may not gel with your playing style.

• Members

I think coated strings are the way to go. Better value. Saves time because you need to deal with fewer string changes. My personal choice is Elixir Nanoweb but the others are perfectly fine as well.

+1. My hands eat strings so I can either change my strings once a week or once every 2 or 3 months. Plus, I like the tone of the Elixirs too. It's a win/win for me.

• Members

Half rounds are grounded (sp?) down or something, means they're supposed to be smoother, and give a softer tone, although they're supposed to be a middle road between flatwounds (very smooth feel and darker/duller sounding) and the normal rounds, which are brighter.

I like Elixirs, you have to get used to them, because the coating begins to flake off after a while, but after that it's still a long time before it affects the sound, they last me almost 6 months sometimes (Nanoweb .011s in my case).

I also like DR Tite-Fits, they last quite long for an uncoated string, and sound/feel great, they have a lower tension than comparable strings, which feels great when you use higher gauges.

I don't like D'addario's that much, they don't last that long, and especially the unwound (G,B and E) strings feel very rough after a while to me. They sound fine to me though.

• Members

I hate coated strings, but then I'm one of the only people I know who actually enjoys changing strings.

You're not alone, i love changing strings :)

Back to the matter at hand;

String choice, like everything else comes down to personal preference.

The other guitarist in my band uses the same guage as me, but only ever buys D'Addarios, whilst i only ever buy Ernie-Balls.

Best bet i can say would be to experiment with different brands and see how they each fair for you...??

yup

• Members

I love EB Power Slinkys. Pure Nickel sounds powerful, but doesn't last as well. SS less power but long lived. Ni plated good compromise. Can't really systematically test strings as they take too long to swap out tune up and listen to. Use what people you like use, change every few weeks.

• Members

Strings aren't that big of a deal. They won't impact your guitar as far as being a "clean" guitar vs. a "dirty" guitar etc. It's a subtle adjustment for tone and feel that comes down to a lot of personal preference.

IMO differences between brands aren't that big of a deal either, but the difference between different gauges and new vs. old strings are. Don't get suckered by a lot of the bull{censored} marketing you'll see on the packages...cryogenically frozen, all that jazz. None of them are that different.

-Thicker gauge strings need to be strung at a higher tension to reach the same pitch, so they're a bit more challenging to bend. Generally, a thicker string will provide a bit beefier tone though.

-Newer strings will have brighter attack and more pop, older strings will be more mellow. Some people like this, but be careful because I have found old strings (more than a month even) do not intonate as well.

-Manufacturers offer different alloys, like a steel/nickel hybrid vs. a straight up nickel string. I haven't used a nickel string in a long time, but I believe the steel is brighter while the nickel imparts a warmer characteristic.

Subtle tonal differences between gauges, age, and material. Gauge affects the feel. Pick what fits you best.

• Members

Strings aren't
that
big of a deal. They won't impact your guitar as far as being a "clean" guitar vs. a "dirty" guitar etc. It's a subtle adjustment for tone and feel that comes down to a lot of personal preference.

IMO differences between brands aren't that big of a deal either, but the difference between different gauges and new vs. old strings are. Don't get suckered by a lot of the bull{censored} marketing you'll see on the packages...cryogenically frozen, all that jazz. None of them are that different.

-Thicker gauge strings need to be strung at a higher tension to reach the same pitch, so they're a bit more challenging to bend. Generally, a thicker string will provide a bit beefier tone though.

-Newer strings will have brighter attack and more pop, older strings will be more mellow. Some people like this, but be careful because I have found old strings (more than a month even) do not intonate as well.

-Manufacturers offer different alloys, like a steel/nickel hybrid vs. a straight up nickel string. I haven't used a nickel string in a long time, but I believe the steel is brighter while the nickel imparts a warmer characteristic.

Subtle tonal differences between gauges, age, and material. Gauge affects the feel. Pick what fits you best.

Thanks! This is a good overview. At this point in my young guitar playing career, I'm not doing much bending. So I think I'll stick with the heavier gauges for now and get 11's for both guitars. And the nickel-plated steel sounds like a good choice to start with. As for brand, I guess I'll get whatever they have at GC when I go there. Looks like D'Addario, DR, and EB all make nickel-plated 11's.

• Members

Thanks! This is a good overview. At this point in my young guitar playing career, I'm not doing much bending. So I think I'll stick with the heavier gauges for now and get 11's for both guitars. And the nickel-plated steel sounds like a good choice to start with. As for brand, I guess I'll get whatever they have at GC when I go there. Looks like D'Addario, DR, and EB all make nickel-plated 11's.

And try some webstrings (here: http://webstrings.com/) I use them, I like them, why pay more?

• Members

Metallica OO has summed it up for a lot of us. Brands matter little unless you're picky. Gauge is important. This is all part of the fun...strings are cheap and easy to change, so experiment. I for one hate coated strings, I think they sound duller; yet, others will only use Elixirs, etc. I've primarily bought Daddario, Ernie Ball, and Markleys...I doubt I would tell the difference if you switched 'em out on me. On the other hand, if you changed my amp settings...:mad:

• Members

This sure looks like a good option, at $2.99 per set. Has anyone else used these?

Strings are only made in a few factories, few brands have their own factories, so chances are these are made in the same place as Dean Markleys or D'addarios or some other name brand, without the name they sell for a lot less, so if you're not looking for something fancy they're probably a good choice.

Archived