As a POD XT owner, what would I get from the Super Champ XD?

AlexMC

• Members

I currently run a POD XT Live into a mixer and monitors. I get all the amp, cab and effect models of the POD XT, direct USB recording and footswitchable access to 128 patches plus an expression pedal.

I have been looking interestedly at the Super Champ XD... is there anything that it provides that the POD XT doesn't in terms of tone or useability?

• Members

...ahhh it has real tubes???

seriously though, it depends on how much you dig your Pod, I've never owned a XT or 3X or whatever so I can not comment, I would like to try the 3X or the Adrenalinn III, I've owned a bunch or other digital stuff and it's always ends up on the ebay within 3 months of purchase, it's true - it hard to beat tubes for tone, warmth and enjoyment for the ears!

• Members

I occasionally run my guitar without an amp through my Zoom G9.2tt into the PA. The Zoom has excellent models, amp sims, etc. and it sounds quite good for the most part. However, I don't get quite same tone quality and sustain as I do through my amp, especially on high gain leads.

I bought a Super Champ XD about a month ago and it is an amazing amp, especially for that price. It's worth it just for the channel one clean tone alone - all the other features are icing on the cake. The line out on it is also very good. I gigged with it recently and ran that into the PA and it sounded excellent. It's also more compact and light weight than my Mesa Boogie which makes it great to grab and go for jams, rehearsals, and small gigs.

• Members

Thx for the comments!

I've always wondered if I could get better Fender clean and edge-of-breakup tones than with the POD XT; it's nice, but not GREAT.

Does the Super Champ XD provide cab modelling with the line-out? I.e. can I get a good recorded tone without mic-ing up?

• Members

I've been wondering how a pod type thing would do through it's acoustic setting. I'd guess that is designed as a flatter response. It might be ok to use as a personal monitor when playing live, and then just use it as a fun amp around the house otherwise.

• Members

I've been wondering how a pod type thing would do through it's acoustic setting. I'd guess that is designed as a flatter response. It might be ok to use as a personal monitor when playing live, and then just use it as a fun amp around the house otherwise.

I have the XD and love it. BUT the acoustic voicing (#16) is not that good IMHO. It has too much noise and a little bit strange sound quality to it. It is pretty much the only voicing that I have no use for.

Other than that, I love it. It is so easy to dial in a variety of good sounds that it is usually my quick plug and play amp.

Archived