Setting up a les paul

Vitalogy57

• Members

I've got an LP studio with 10-52 gauge strings on it, usually tuned to drop D. On this guitar, I like my action to be pretty damn high, cause i play pretty hard rhythm (a lot of dropped D based riffs). I just like the chunky beefy feeling from a high action/thick strings. Even with a somewhat regular action on this guitar, the Second and third frets on the Low E/D are always sharp. I intonated the string to be as close to perfect as i could get it, but its still sharp on those 2 frets. Raising the action to the height i have it at now seemed to help. What do you guys think would help this issue?

thanks,

murad

• Members

i can possibly take it to my tech, but i'd like to avoid that because i don't want to waste his time, y'know taking him away from his work so i can show him my guitar to avoiding giving him the job of fixing it...

• Members

Could be a nut issue. But, if you are playing with really high action, and heavy strings you would want a nut thats slightly higher than most of us. The idea is that you want even fretting pressure up and down the whole neck. I don't think it would be a bad idea to take it to the tech. A good tech will be able to set it up for your particular needs.

How is your relief set? In cases like this sometimes relief can throw off intonation in areas of the neck if its not set right .

Archived