i dont get the blues

fantastico

• Members

I just dont get blues at all. i see it as a bridge to metal and i like early bluesey metal some but i just find it all to be boring and reptitive usually. maybe i'm just too young but it just doent do anything for me. so convince me blues is good.

It can take some time (and some living) before one "gets" the blues. It's also easy to dislike the blues if all you hear is "12-bar masturbation in E" at your average open jam. But there's some incredible music there, if you're willing to look and listen with an open mind.

I wasn't a big fan of blues until I heard the Robert Johnson box set, and Muddy Waters' Hard Again. After that, I was a blues fan for life.

Some of my favourite blues CD's:

Robert Johnson The Complete Recordings: This is where it all starts; the first time someone matched blues passion with finesse. Robert Johnson is possibly the most influential person in 20th Century music. It took me a while to get it but once I did, I really did!

Muddy Waters Hard Again: The title says it all. The King of Chicago Blues found his mojo again on this record, and it shows.

Howlin' Wolf More Real Folk Blues: The title is total B.S., this is raw Chicago blues at its finest. Yes, the Wolf's voice was so powerful on these sessions that he just about killed the mic.

B.B. King Live at Cook County Jail: This is B.B. at his prime, and good reason why they call him the King of the Blues. I've also heard really good things about Live at the Regal, but I've never been able to score it on CD.

Albert King Born Under a Bad Sign: Albert King meets Booker T. and the MG's. This was the record that put Albert King on the map, and you'll hear a lot of places where both Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan ripped off his schtick.

Buddy Guy Sweet Tea: This is probably the greatest blues record produced in the past 30 years (and yes, I'd put this over any of SRV's records). It's raw as hell, Buddy is on fire, and it absolutely kills. Every blues fan I've given this to has thanked me profusely.

The Black Keys Thickfreakness: Modern, raw blues in the Hound Dog Taylor vein. "Have Love Will Travel" is a smokin' song.

These records may not make sense to you immediately, but give them time. You'll be glad you did.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived