Les Paul 1960 Historic R0 gaining popularity?

phil47uk

• Members

Hi there,

As a regular poster on the LPF I have noticed that the 1960 Historic has gained a lot more popularity over the past year or so. Three years back and you'd be hard pushed to find a thread about the R0 anywhere and everything was all 58's and 59's. It was only a year or so ago that there were only two R0's in the UK and you still can't find one in a store and even now, the only way of getting one is to import one privately. For some strange reason the Brits have suddenly taken to the R0 profile and even Pagey has been seen sporting reflectors.

Many Brits have been very surprised when the tried my R0 and have said it's not at all what they expected and was certainly nothing like the 60 US Standard or the Classic as they had been lead to believe.

Trying it out against some of the fatter neck Historics some guys I know own, I have noticed ( acoustically that is ) slightly less bass, but more woody honk in the mid range. Since then quite a few other owners of both type of necks have reported the same phenomenon. Maybe the thinner fulcrum?

Anyone else notice this?

Phil.

Here are a few pics of Humph my R0.

http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=161&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=%25&orderby=hits+DESC&volltext=

• Members

Here are a few pics of Humph my R0.

That's a beaut!

Any other differences with the R9 other than the neck profile and reflector cap knobs?

If I ever spring for a pricey LP, that's the one I'd get since it's also my birth year.

Oh, welcome to HCEG!

• Members

That's a beaut!

Any other differences with the R9 other than the neck profile and reflector cap knobs?

If I ever spring for a pricey LP, that's the one I'd get since it's also my birth year.

Oh, welcome to HCEG!

Thanks Pete,

Yeah the R0 has always come under fire because people assume the neck is similar to a 60 US Standard and a Classic, whereas in fact it's nothing like them. It actually has the 50's shoulders unlike the elipse of the others but is shaved flatter at the back. In fact very much like many classical guitar profiles. I think also, that as there are relatively so few compared to the 58's and 59's people can't find any to try out.

Other than the profile and the reflectors there is no difference to other Historics. Although having said that I think the slimmer neck does produce a different sound. Not better or worse, just different.

Phil.

• Members

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Yeah some of us old die hards at the LPF have been noticing that there are an increasing number of reports coming in regarding the acoustical tones created by the slimmer neck.

As I sad before. Not superior or inferior to it's large necked brothers, but just different.

Off course I realize every guitar be it the same model differs in tone from one to the next, but the R0's certainly seem to be consistantly getting reports of an open woody mid range honk.

I suppose if one looked at it, a slimmer neck joint ( fulcrum point) would vibrate an excite different frequencies than a fulcrum with more mass. A bit like flicking a wooden ruler on the side of a desk, then flicking a ruler which is twice as thick. They will vibrate differently. Off course with Historics, the stiff longer neck tenon plays a crucial part in the over all vibration and transfer of energy.

This particular R0 rings out like a banjo and was the main reason I bought it from a dealer friend of mine in the States who kept on raving on about it to me. You play a chord and the whole headstock shakes and you can actually feel the guitar vibrating throughout the body when playing it.

We compared it to an R7 and an R9 when it arrived and it definitely had more in the mids, but slightly less dark in the bottom end. You can still just faintly hear it vibrating at around 40 seconds with you ear to the body.

Here's a cross section pic taken from the book BOTB showing the approx profiles of original 58, 59 and 60 Les Paul's at around the 7th- 9th fret.

Notice how the 60 still retains the shoulders, unlike the elipse of the US Standard and Classic.

VintageLesPaulnecks12thfret.jpg

VintageLesPaulnecks12thfret1.jpg

The 60 may look anorexic compared to say the 58, but it's not so much that the 60 is thin, it's that the 58 is huge.

• Members
Ya, Phil47uk I'm also am a member of the LPF and man I'm jones-N- for an RO. PROB going to pick one up in a couple of weeks. I already have 7,8,9 just looking for the R0 don's ask me why.
:thu:

Hi slapjaw, I don't think you'll be dissapointed in the tone. The neck profile is a different matter though. Some prefer those huge necks, but in my opinion they are just too big and the R0 fits along nicely with the profile of all my other guitars. Hope you like it..Keep us posted.

Phil.

• Members
Hey Phil- Humphrey sure is
purty
. I love me some reflectors. . .

original.jpg

large.jpg

Hi bigconig how are you my man?

Yeah those two beauties of yours are something else. Gorgeous guitars.
Hey! Have you noticed the R0 mid range honk effect compared to the fatter necks?

Phil.

• Members

I've never had the opportunity to spend much time with other historics (at least on familiar amps). But mine do have a wonderful honkin' mid. Especially the G0. They make most other guitars sound sterile by comparison.

• Members

Pagey's #1 has a pencil thin neck. I mean, really, really tiny. It was like that when he got it. So it doesn't surprise me that he prefers the R0's neck profile.

Hi Doc,

Yeah the slimmer neck is favoured more over here in the UK I'd say.

Not only did Pagey shave those necks down but so did Paul Kossoff. Clapton played a slim necked 60 and still has one which you see him with sometimes. Peter Green said he'd wished he'd found one with Claptons profile as his was like the whole top half of a tree.

• Members

Killer guitar. I can't decide if I like the 58 or 60 neck better.

Hi JoJo. I suppose living in Texas, you get plenty of chances to try them all out.. Unlike here in England, where a R0 is as rare as rocking horse {censored}.

Archived