RIP: American standard trem, 1986-2007

kenh

• Members

I think this is the best trem fender ever made for the strat. It still blows me away when I use this trem, it is way sensitive [in a good way] and returns to zero so well. From extremely subtle trem work, to some pretty vigorous use. Feel is good, not too stiff like a floyd, nor not completely loose like a Kahler.

The vintage style six screw trem is not bad, but gets gunked up too easily, hard to clean, I don't that is as easy to adjust as the power stainless saddles, and I don't think returns to zero as well as the two point trem.

Okay, I haven't given the 2008 trem with the stamped saddles a serious workout, but this totally seems like a step backwards, that I was disappointed to see this change.

imo.

• Members
I dont like saddles w/o notches.

No notches? Like the barrel saddles on a vintage tele trem? I'm not a fan of these either.

I'm talking about this exact trem:

yjm_trem.jpg

The best. Ever. IMO.

• Members

I put a set of graphtech block saddles on my Highway One Strat and will probably change them back to the bent steel saddles next time I change strings. I guess I just like the vintage vibe. Some will argue that the bent steel saddles also contribute to the vintage tone too. I couldn't say one way or the other.

• Members

Wasn't a tanty, or I didn't mean to write it to be a tanty. My main comment was more like a disappointment in the change. And at the same time, saying that the 86-07 trem really works well. For me. I just finished giving it a serious workout, and it still blows me away.

Yes, one can change the saddles, or buy a used 89-07 am standard, which would be cheaper than changing the saddles. But that was not necessarily the point of my post.

• Members

The trem block is different too, but nobody's going to be able to hear the difference. It's all marketing hype. The stamped steel saddles are marketing hype too. Can't blame them. It's a business, after all.

I still prefer the vintage trem anyway.

• Members

The trem block is different too, but nobody's going to be able to hear the difference. It's all marketing hype. The stamped steel saddles are marketing hype too. Can't blame them. It's a business, after all.

I still prefer the vintage trem anyway.

+1.

6 Screws or GTFO.

Archived