First PA system (x-post from Live Sound)

scud133

• Members

Need some advice for a first PA system.

We're trying to set up a basic system for a frat house basement. Source will be mostly ipods and laptops.

Originally purchased this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-Audio-Tri-Pak-Live-System-Active-PA-with-Sub?sku=803180

American Audio TriPak live

but it's been total utter crap for the following reasons:

Anyone have some advice about what we can get?

• Members

Hey.

How big is this frathouse basement? 500ish for a system with a sub is not going to get you great results. If you are willing to spend about twice that, have a look at this:

Yorkville Elite Excursion 1000

Sure, it costs more but it is louder and clearer, weighs less, more trouble free (ever try DEALING with American DJ/Audio tech support???) and comes with a 2 year unconditional warranty in North America. Compare the numbers. The tops are rated at 150 watts each but these speakers are more efficient. The sub puts out 650 watts. This thing should rock a modestly sized basement for years.

V.

• Members

Originally posted by gruvjack

Hey.

How big is this frathouse basement? 500ish for a system with a sub is not going to get you great results. If you are willing to spend about twice that, have a look at this:

Sure, it costs more but it is louder and clearer, weighs less, more trouble free (ever try DEALING with American DJ/Audio tech support???) and comes with a 2 year unconditional warranty in North America. Compare the numbers. The tops are rated at 150 watts each but these speakers are more efficient. The sub puts out 650 watts. This thing should rock a modestly sized basement for years.

V.

That looks great. I always forget about Yorkville since they don't have much on Musician's Friend.

Now if only I can get the treasurer to shell out more cash....

• Members

Ok I priced out a pair of 15" 2-way Yorkville cabs (300w/ea) and a Crown XLS power amp (200w/ch) for about $750 w/cables. I'd prob also pick up a cheap (less than $100) mixer with tape/aux inputs for the ipod, and that way have expandability for a few mics down the road.

Seems like a good setup to me... any thoughts/opinions?

Would it be a good idea to pick up a power conditioner thing too, in case the problem is actually electricity related?

• Members

That’s an expensive amp just for your purpose, in my opinion. For your situation, why not a powered mixer instead of a separate amp/mixer?

For that money, you could get a nice powered mixer with way more watts and channels, and easier to use. Yorkville should have one, and I know Peavey and Yamaha great powered mixers.

As for Speakers, look at the Peavey PR15s, too ($199.99). The PRSUB is a good addition for later. I can’t speak for the Yorkies, but they’re well spoken of, as well.

As for the “power conditioner”, it probably wouldn’t do any more than a power strip.

• Members

Originally posted by scud133

Ok I priced out
(300w/ea) and a
(200w/ch) for about $750 w/cables. I'd prob also pick up a cheap (less than $100) mixer with tape/aux inputs for the ipod, and that way have expandability for a few mics down the road.

Seems like a good setup to me... any thoughts/opinions?

Would it be a good idea to pick up a power conditioner thing too, in case the problem is actually electricity related?

Yeah, that looks to be adequate. As long as you don't have high expectations of those speakers, you'll be ok. Don't count on massive bass or high SPLs from them. A more battle tested and proven amp will be a QSC. You can grab a used QSC RMX1450 or RMX1850HD for about 200-350 bucks. Solid amps.

V.

Archived