Flat notes on higher frets

arrowhen

• Members

On my Squier 51, all the notes above the 15th fret on the top three strings are ~10 - 15 cents flat. Everywhere else on the fretboard is spot-on, and those frets don't look like they're unduly worn compared to the rest of them -- which they shouldn't be, because I spend a lot more time playing chords and riffs than I do the high dweedly stuff.

I'm not sure when the problem started, but it was fairly recent, no more than a couple months ago. (I've had the guitar for a year and a half.) It seems to coincide with my moving several states away, which would have involved the guitar going through a pretty wide range of temperature and humidity along the way. Is it possible that those temperature/humidity fluctuations caused the neck to warp?

• Members

Sounds like a relief problem. If anything they tend to be a littel sharp.

If youve changed string gauges or even brands the pounds of pull from the strings can drastically change causing the relief to change.

To test get a straight edge and a .009 feeler gauge. Put the straight edge down the fretboard on the frets, Measure the distance between the 5~7th frets and the straight edge, It should just clear.

Another way is to capo the 1st fret and hold down the top fret and measure between the strings and frets.

Also with the 1st fret capod, and the top fret held down, pick the string in the middel of the frets. The string should just clear all the frets and give a note with just a littel rubbing. (If your frets arent worn) If its a super clear tone, the relief may be high, If it rubs all the frets You have backbow and should fix it before perminant damage occurs.

If its only the wrapped strings that are flat dont rule out them being a bad batch of strings. I was getting some strings from several Mfg where the D and A strings could not be intonated no matter how far you adjusted. Found out the D strings were actually wrapped G strings. The gauges were the same but the core wire was to thin. The string that would normally adjust to a G wont intonate with the tension of a g note 5 semitones lower.

• Members

Before doing anything.. How old are your strings??
If your strings are fairly old they are naturally going to loose their intonation, even though the intonation was spot on with new strings.

If you still get those readings when changing strings, it's probably your intonation which is easy to fix. Play a harmonic at the twelth fret then play the note fretted at the twelfth fret. If the note is reading flat screw the bridge saddle in toward the neck end. If it is noting sharp then screw the saddle back toward the back end of the guitar. If you still can't get anywhere near the correct intonation, then maybe your bridge is positioned wrongly, in which case you need to get it re-positioned by a tech. If this is something that has come on recently I'd hazzard a guess it's your strings that are screwed and old. If it's something that you have always noticed, then it's probably the saddles that need adjusting as above, or your bridge is mis- aligned.

Phil.
http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=161&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=%25&orderby=hits+DESC&volltext=

• Members

Thanks for the replies everyone!

My strings are just over a week old; the problem has been around through several string changes. I've used the same string gauge, brand, and tuning the whole time I've had the guitar. I've adjusted my intonation using a digital tuner and it's perfectly fine.

I checked my neck relief and the truss rod did need some tightening (even though I could have sworn I adjusted it a couple weeks ago -- are they supposed to need adjusting that often, even if you're not changing string gauge/tuning?) Tightening the truss rod made the problem notes less flat, but now the same notes on the lower strings are flat, too.

That's probably not a good sign, is it?

• Members

Might not be a bad sign though. The weather has a lot of impact on wood for sure. I wouldnt go nuts with changes personally, but play with intonation before truss, but thats me. Recheck it again in 24 hours or so.

• Members

Thanks for the replies everyone!

My strings are just over a week old; the problem has been around through several string changes. I've used the same string gauge, brand, and tuning the whole time I've had the guitar. I've adjusted my intonation using a digital tuner and it's perfectly fine.

I checked my neck relief and the truss rod
did
need some tightening (even though I could have sworn I adjusted it a couple weeks ago -- are they supposed to need adjusting
that
often, even if you're not changing string gauge/tuning?) Tightening the truss rod made the problem notes less flat, but now the same notes on the
lower
strings are flat, too.

That's probably not a good sign, is it?

Since you adjusted the truss rod you should now go back and adjust your intonation.

Archived