Fender MIM Strat or Tokai Strat...

Mrrikki

• Members

Tokai strat. I assume you mean MIM standard strat, not any of the classic series. I have yet to impressed by the quality of a standard MIM strat, mostly with the neck/fret work. The classic series is another story...

They make ALL the Fender necks at the one factory in Corona Ca.

• Members

So they make the necks in America and ship them down to mexico for assembly? Because that makes perfect sense if they do.

Yes they do. I think they actually used to cut the bodies in Corona, too. Then ship them down for finish.

Id say if you didnt care about having the choice pieces of wood on the MIA's then a good set of pups in the MIMs and your good to go. They do use more expensive tuners and trems but who really needs um if you dont have the cash? They also use different sized bridges/trems for the MIAs so you cant interchange parts as easily.

• Members

Which Tokai are you talking about? Used late 70's 80's type? New model? Even then in each of those catagories you'd have different levels.

I don't know much about the MIM but I asume there are some different levels there too?

Quite frankly I would take (sight unseen) an Old Tokai ST-80 to virtually any fender strat short of maybe a Custom Shop. Even then I think the ST 80 would easily compare to a Custom Shop.

An ST 60 I would take over a mexican strat.

As for new tokai's I don't know much about them. I'm sure their higher end models would be very easily as good as a mexican strat and probably much better.

Archived