Guitar home security.

phil47uk

• Members

Thank God this thread hasn't degraded to the "guns are bad- what are you Americans thinking'' tinderbox.

Oh, wait, I was just getting to that ...

Naahhhh, skip it. Bin there ... and no-one's likely to change anybody else's mind.

*ducks*

*Ka-CHOW!*

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am with the dog people, I have a 120lbs security system that can get to any where in the house in a second. All I have to do is feed her and love her. And yep its a female, males fight to submission, females fight to the death. We have been very lucky thus far with her and break ins, they hear the bark and think the other houses are better. My neighbor has been broken into twice in the last 2 years. The last time the cops told my wife it was the dog that kept them from ours so hopefully the luck will continue. We are thinking about getting a male and having puppies too so we can keep it going.

• Members

Unfortunatly I live in in US. This means if I shoot the intruder and they live they will sue me. If I am not home and they trip and hurt themsleves while stealing somthing...they will sue me. If my dog bites them while they are stealing something they will sue me and then put the dog down for being 'harmful to humans'. Deterants are great but home insurance seems to be the only 'real' option.

• Members
What do you do to ensure a good nights sleep without worrying if your guitars will still be there in the morning or after you come home from being out for the evening?

LOGO_ADT.gif

ADT Home Security - Costs about $33 a month, worth it for peace of mind. Otherwise requires no care or feeding.

• Members

LOGO_ADT.gif

ADT Home Security - Costs about $33 a month, worth it for peace of mind. Otherwise requires no care or feeding.

But you can't cuddle up to it on a cold night. It won't wake you up by licking your nose, either. (Unless you are married/dating one of their employees)

• Members

Thank God this thread hasn't degraded to the "guns are bad- what are you Americans thinking'' tinderbox.

I can't say I'd shoot someone over a guitar, but if they make one move toward my wife and kids, its lead poisoning time.

If you live in a state like mine (NY state), you better let the guy take at least one shot at you first before you return fire.

Picture this, a guy breaks in to get at your LP collection, it's 2 am, you hear a loud noise that wakes you, you grab your shotgun, the guy is in your living room and you think you see a gun. Bang. Next thing you know, you are in handcuffs and they are charging you.

• Members

Very interesting posts guys. It's nice to hear everyones views on the matter and let's face it, it can be worry for many, who maybe live in urban areas and are not allowed pets where they live. Or keeping a dog is impracticle, because of work etc.

Obviously I consider myself lucky in the fact I live deep in the heart of the countryside, but I also lived in London for 37 years, so know what it's like. I could have never kept two sheperds there.

As we don't have guns in the UK, it's difficult to say whether one would use one or not and at what point would you use it.

Luckily the dogs make that decision for you. Guns are fine if you happen to be in, but not much use if you are at work or have gone out for the evening and let's face it, that's when most break ins occur. Usually by someone who knows your movements. Even in the countryside, many people here have been victims of crime. Usually it's the farmers who have machinery taken. People know we have two big dogs as they see my wife, or other members of the family taking them for walks and what with the signs saying 'Warning Guard Dogs Loose' on all the gates, they have so far steered clear of our cottage.

With regard to getting sued by a burglar, my brother in law was a police chief inspector and gave me a few tips many years ago, although I don't know if this would work in the States or Canada.

If you seriously hurt the intruder, make sure you tell the police you were attacked in your bedroom. My brother in law said " Yeah just drag the bastard in there before the police arrive.....LOL As quite to why, I'm still not sure, but luckily we have never beeen put in that position and hope, never am.

My wife was walking one of the dogs down a country lane once when some idiot slowed down his car, leered out of the window and sneered " Does it bite darling"?. She just looked at him and replied. " Only when I tell him too". That soon got him driving off in a hurry....LOL

I certainly don't want to get into a debate about American gun laws, but it sure sounds a bit scary and sounds like things could quite easily escalate out of hand if both sides are packing a piece. At least in England things are a bit more one sided with re dogs.. You are armed with two sets of razor sharp teeth and all he's got is a ladder...LOL

Phil.

• Members

With regard to getting sued by a burglar, my brother in law was a police chief inspector and gave me a few tips many years ago, although I don't know if this would work in the States or Canada.

If you seriously hurt the intruder, make sure you tell the police you were attacked in your bedroom. My brother in law said " Yeah just drag the bastard in there before the police arrive.....LOL As quite to why, I'm still not sure, but luckily we have never beeen put in that position and hope, never am.

Phil-- in the US, this is known as the "duty to retreat" rule: if you can retreat from an intruder, you must retreat further into your home (essentially until you are cornered) before using deadly force.

In the States, several individual states have legislatively overruled the requirement of retreat, and some states' statutes now say if you are threatened anywhere within your home, you have the immediate right to blast away. People in the US would be well advised to check their state statutes.

Cheers,

BK (a Florida attorney)

• Members
Phil-- in the US, this is known as the "duty to retreat" rule: if you can retreat from an intruder, you must retreat further into your home (essentially until you are cornered) before using deadly force.

In the States, several individual states have legislatively overruled the requirement of retreat, and some states' statutes now say if you are threatened
anywhere
within your home, you have the immediate right to blast away. People in the US would be well advised to check their state statutes.

Cheers,

BK (a Florida attorney)

I believe Here in MN, It's shoot first, ask questions later(as long as the perpetrator doesn't fall outside your home,...make sure you don't wound him and let him get away!!)IMO criminals get whatever is comin to them... be it a nasty dog attack or a cap in the ass.......STOP breakin the Laws!!!:cop:

• Members

Same here, a 95lb Boxer to wake me up then depending on where I'm sleeping its a Sig Sauer .40 or a Ruger .357. Although I'm missing one of your most dangerous deterents in a armed pregnant women.

Rock River Entry/Tactical AR-15, Glock 19, and one terribly sleepy black cat.

• Members

No guns for me, but I've got the ADT system and Mitch is here to take care of anyone who thinks the alarm isn't enough of a deterrent. He's a 7 year old German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix and is without a doubt the best dog ever!

mitch0001.jpg

• Members
Lovely dogs, ya'all but whose to say that your guitar thief wouldn't just bring a few dozen pork chops to break the ice with your pooch?

As with any theft-deterrent system, there are some flaws, but as has been said in this thread before, I think thieves would probably just prefer to move to a house with no big dog than try to befriend Mitch. He's got a hell of a bark on him and if he wasn't my dog I would definitely steer clear of him.

That being said, there are definitely some sinister bastards out there who will stop at nothing to get what they want. Can't really do much about those kind of assholes. :mad:

• Members
I keep a few of these in the yard:

2007-11-05Rosie.jpg

I just throw it a pork chop bone every couple of days and it happily keeps everyone and everything away from the house... even insects!

Man, way to ruin the thread! :eek: I guess if we're talking DOGS though, she (or is that an "IT"?) certainly fits the bill.

Archived