Shops that don't check serial numbers?

ZERO HEROES

• Members

It's going to be pretty hard to determine which shops don't check serial numbers. I guess keep checking news reports of pawn shops being busted. The emails I get from people recovering their gear from pawn shops include that they (the people who got their gear stolen and then recovered) don't want it publicized - probably because they just want the problem to be gone - if the pawn shop is dealing with stolen goods, they aren't the type that you would want to piss off (even though they were trying to sell you stolen gear and fully deserve to be publicly persecuted.)

On a similar note, I contacted pawn shops saying I was doing the stolen instrument list - and if they recovered any stolen items on the list I would give them free advertising on the site promoting their shop. None replied. That email went out over 1 year ago.

• Members

I think its great that you want to do something - however, have you done a business analysis (not that the business has to make money, but rather if the business proposition has merit.)

Are you looking to cause a change in behavior of musicians? (so that they would buy from good shops and not buy from bad shops) Are you looking to cause change in behavior of the shops? Do you think the target audience is susceptible to change?

When I was developing the stolen music instrument recovery project allot of thought went into:

what is the objective (help recover stolen instruments),

who is the target audience (other musicians, NOT the musician who got ripped off),

why would they help - what is the attractor (other musicians can get rewarded for finding stolen instruments),

how does this happen (by publicizing stolen instruments via social networks, forums and sites)

I put together a five year business plan with costs, goals, objectives, legality issues, researched the market... right now the project is in the development stage - I'm not expecting to recover many instruments in the first 3 years - the first 3 are building awareness - we have recovered instruments so the method works - but it's going to take a critical mass awareness before any real goals are achieved - which is actually only 10% recovery - which is 3 times the recovery rate of the police of 3% (yes, I know, what a low goal of only 10% - if we recover more that would be great, but you need to be realistic about the market - much of the stolen gear is bought by musicians who know its stolen and have no problem/guilt/remorse...)

I'd recommend the same - putting together a business plan - know what the goals are - and look into the legal aspects so you don't get sued!

Archived