Help with fixing a chip??

strtdv

• Members

Ok basically in an incident involving my braindead brother (soon to be actually braindead when I get my hands on him), my MIA telecaster got a fairly sizeable chip out of the corner.

Is there any way to repair this?

• Members

Pics and more of a description to include stuff like type of finish would be kind of important here.

And to be quite honest I think that the first response is going to end up being the best one. My kid screwed up my prize strat years ago and I was able to fix up the stuff that was needed to make it play right, but the amount of work and cost to refinish it where it was needed wasn't going to be worth it. Truth is that as soon as I mess with the finish the value decreases more and the chances of doing a successful patch job are pretty slim most of the time.

• Members

Down to bare wood.

Its at the edge of the guitar on the corner. Chip goes down to the corner.

Fortunately its a sunburst guitar, so colour matching to black shouldn't be difficult.

I've read that polyurethane finish can't be repaired using solvents, but that superglue/cyanoacrylate can be used.

I see stewmac have a black opaque superglue. Would I be able to fill the chip with that, then smooth it down and polish it?

Obviously i'm not going to get perfection here, but does that seem pretty reasonable?

Does anyone know if superglue polishes to a gloss?

• Members

Down to bare wood.

Does anyone know if superglue polishes to a gloss?

Drop filling with super glue is generally a good choice for repairing finish flaws. It should polish to a nice gloss. It may be a hard repair if it is on a corner.

Archived