Surf Guitars

• Members

I'll add Danelectro to the list. Last weekend I was at a surf fest in Clarkston, GA and one band had two players with white Jazzmasters. When one had a problem mid song and grabbed another guitar, he grabbed another white Jazzmaster!

• Members

Thanks alot, would a strat with three lace sensor golds w/ fender + reverb cut it?

I'd say yes but they wouldn't be as "edgie" a tone as some of the other choices.

I like the gold version of those pups the best, but they do have a bit of "smooth" in their tone.

• Members

Everyone knows the main thing to surf guitars is the color. If you don't have the right color guitar, it's just not going to work. Forget tone and PU's and amps....look for the color. Surf Green, Shell Pink, Daphne Blue...these are all viable colors.

If they sparkle, that's a plus too.

:D

• Members

Everyone knows the main thing to surf guitars is the color. If you don't have the right color guitar, it's just not going to work.

If they sparkle, that's a plus too.

:D

:D:D:D:D

Galaxie4.jpg

• Members

guitar3.jpg

Oh - sorry, that was SURF guitar...

Anyway - I don't think the guitar is as important as the attitude and the amp - lots of high-end sparkle and lots of drippy reverb are the main ingredients. I like heavier rather than lighter strings to emphasize the twang. I can play surf all day long on my Route 101 Solimar (perfect surf name) strat copy, my Gretsch G5120 (the bigsby makes it surf-tastic) and my Godin LG-SP90. OVer the past 35 years, I've played surf on custom telecasters, LP Jrs, Acoustics, and ukeleles and it's all good.

Archived