Bad Habits. We all have them.

bullpink

• Members

"practice"

hmmmm... I've know I've heard the term, but it seems quite foreign to me...
:idk:

but seriously... I got stuck on root-fifth power chords for a lot of years, and it limited my playing TERRIBLY. To be 100% honest, which I always am, you CAN get by with that on ALOT of songs, but all these years later I am now playing catch-up on smooth transitions between open chords... and quite frankly, half the time I'm not sure what it is I am playing anyways. I can stop and figure it out if I have to, but as far as instinctively knowing where every 'A' is on the fretboard, no, I can't do that.

- I know 2 scales - and one is derived from the other (pentatonic & blues)...

- I have no idea what 'modes' are, but I recognize the names, like Aeolian or Phrygian, but I have no idea what that really means.

- I use downstrokes nearly ALL the time, which is cool for heavy riffing, but limits you in other areas.

- I
almost never
use my pinky

Those are a lot of my bad habits, right there. I only know two scales ... I used to know the major scale but only cared to practice the minor pentatonic and blues. I'm really weak on upstrokes. I try to practice them but can't get them to sound natural. And I try hard to use my pinky more and get it stronger ... I envy Paul Gilbert for his alien pinky fretting.

• Members

I anchor the pinky of my picking hand pretty much always.I'm trying to break that habit but when I don't it feels like my hand is floating and I lose pick control after a few notes.

these are my two big "bad" habits; anchoring and no aptitude with my ring or pink finger when finger picking. the anchoring honestly doesn't bother me and doesn't appear to really hold me back... but that could just be denial. :freak:

• Members

I don't "practice" in the normal sense. I pick up the guitar when the urge hits and just play. I don't totally suck, but I should be a lot better than I am after 17 years.

I've never really studied scales or modes. I have GOSK bookmarked and try more these days, but it's still not sticking, probably from years of just noodling, really.

I do however, use my pinky on my left hand a lot, just don't use my ring finger as much.

• Members

I anchor the pinky of my picking hand pretty much always.I'm trying to break that habit but when I don't it feels like my hand is floating and I lose pick control after a few notes.

Anchoring, not good. Floating your pinky on the guitar as sort of a "depth gauge", nothing wrong with that.

• Members

I didn't know that was a bad habit... I thought everyone with any experience does it that way. It's the n00bs I see with their hand floating in mid-air and can't control anything with their picking hand. :idk:

• Members

I can never play through a whole song when practicing. I'll play bits and then drift off and start noodling. Actually, i started concentrating on playing songs again this year. For years I came up with my own progressions and practiced over them. My vibrato could be smoother as well.

• Members
I can never play through a whole song when practicing. I'll play bits and then drift off and start noodling. Actually, i started concentrating on playing songs again this year. For years I came up with my own progressions and practiced over them. My vibrato could be smoother as well.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who does that too. I'm easily distracted.

• Members

I don't "practice" in the normal sense. I pick up the guitar when the urge hits and just play. I don't totally suck, but I should be a lot better than I am after 17 years. I've never really studied scales or modes.

Describes myself exactly. Plus it takes me about an hour to start rolling, if you know what I mean.

• Members

i still have trouble controlling my mouth and jaw when playing. sometimes i'll look like i'm in awe with my playing because my mouth is just hanging open.

I do opposite. I I hold my mouth closed and apparently i move my lips around. My GF makes fun of me about it whenever I play.

• Members

I don't use a pick in the normal way. I cut it in half, round it off and use the corner. I'm sure this has absolutely no effect on improving technique it's just a comfort thing.

Archived