Booking Opening Slots for Larger Venues

Bassjunkie99

• Members

I play in a band with a steadily growing fan base, but we have not quite reached the point of headlining the 'premier' venues in neighboring cities. We would really like to secure more opening slots for some larger acts at different venues, but we're unsure of the best approach to book these shows.

I've heard that our best bet is to contact the bands (or their booking / management company) directly and offer to play an opening slot. Has anyone had luck booking these types of slots through the venue directly, or are they typically only receptive to bands that can fill their venue by themselves?

• Moderators

try the band's management. They will be more inclined to look at you if your music is a good fit for their audience, but remember, you have to prove to them it is worth their while, meaning you will need to demonstrate that your band can help fill the room!

• Members

We've had some success with venue booking managers.

We'll have our CD and promo info on hand at the club, with the understanding that we are available for slots whenever someone might roll through town and need an opener.

It's worked a few times with some larger national acts.

The way it works (sofar as we can tell), is the club manager will give the band a heads up and a quick listen to a few bands, and the national act will pick one that sounds like the best fit.

Although sometimes that "best fit" makes you wonder what's going on in that tour bus... :idk:

• Members

Don't forget that in larger shows with more money to be made there is almost always a promoter.

Earlier in my career we got a lot of the quality opening gigs from the promoters directly.

If they're the ones fronting the money they usually have a say as to who's on the bill.

Archived