Opinions wanted- 74 Strat

SuperAmerMetal

• Members

Hi, I would like some input on what to do with a guitar of mine. It is a 1974 strat, sunburst, with a non original body, electronics that have been changed and then put back to stock, and a maple neck with almost no frets left. I have had it for a long time and am sort of attached to it, but it just sounds awful. I really like the feel of the neck, and I've always had a thing for the big headstock era strats, but other than that it's not for me. Should I..

1. Get a replacement body, new pickups, and refret it?

or 2. Sell it and get something new

or just keep it as is???

Also, does anybody have first hand experience with the newer Fender bodies with nitro finish? What are the chances of one making a tight fit with the neck? Is it a good idea to plug the three mounting screw holes and drill 4 new ones?

thanks!!!

• Members

If it were me, I'd refret it, change the electronics to suit me and play it,
or keep it as is, watching for a '74 body to come up on Ebay.
Either way I'd keep it, you'll regret selling it pretty darned fast.

• Members

Hi, I would like some input on what to do with a guitar of mine. It is a 1974 strat, sunburst, with a non original body, electronics that have been changed and then put back to stock, and a maple neck with almost no frets left. I have had it for a long time and am sort of attached to it, but it just sounds awful. I really like the feel of the neck, and I've always had a thing for the big headstock era strats, but other than that it's not for me. Should I..

1. Get a replacement body, new pickups, and refret it?

or 2. Sell it and get something new

or just keep it as is???

Also, does anybody have first hand experience with the newer Fender bodies with nitro finish? What are the chances of one making a tight fit with the neck? Is it a good idea to plug the three mounting screw holes and drill 4 new ones?

thanks!!!

Any pics?

So if get this straight you have a 74 Strat neck and electronics..including pickups and the rest is non-original parts that are not made by Fender?

When you say it sounds "awful" could you be a little specific?

Right off the bat if you like the neck and it needs a fret job then you should go for it and have it done by a proper tech'.

• Members

Any pics?

So if get this straight you have a 74 Strat neck and electronics..including pickups and the rest is non-original parts that are not made by Fender?

When you say it sounds "awful" could you be a little specific?

Right off the bat if you like the neck and it needs a fret job then you should go for it and have it done by a proper tech'.

The whole guitar is Fender, but the body is from a later 70s strat. The switch was replaced w/ a 5 way, and the pickups were replaced at one time but the originals have been put back in. Basically, I mean that it has been altered enough that I would almost call it a mongrel.

By "awful", I mean that it sounds completely dead, like the body is made out of rubber instead of wood. It has very little resonance, and unless the strings are brand new there is no presence. I swapped the pickups with Tex Mex's, and it made a difference, but it was still a lousy sounding guitar. Thanks for ur response!!

• Members

The whole guitar is Fender, but the body is from a later 70s strat. The switch was replaced w/ a 5 way, and the pickups were replaced at one time but the originals have been put back in. Basically, I mean that it has been altered enough that I would almost call it a mongrel.

By "awful", I mean that it sounds completely dead, like the body is made out of rubber instead of wood. It has very little resonance, and unless the strings are brand new there is no presence. I swapped the pickups with Tex Mex's, and it made a difference, but it was still a lousy sounding guitar. Thanks for ur response!!

I would think that the body sucks....the neck needs a refret. KEEP IT.....sell the body on ebay for nice $$$, find yourself a nice warmoth body that's nice and light....and then make yourself a NICE player out of it!

• Members

Put it in a closet somewhere and get a new one. I had a 68 in similar condition that I sold cheaply. It was my main guitar for a long time and I really miss it. It was almost unplayable at the end though. I'd still like to have it for nostalgic reasons.

• Members

You have a bit of options (imo). It def' all starts with the neck getting a proper re-fret.

If your not interested in selling the guitar, and your up to it, you might want to take a shot at stripping off the guitar bodies thick finish. I have stripped a few guitars over the years and they can really open up and sound sweet once the thick finish is removed. It would not cost much to do it yourself and (imo) worth a shot.

:cop:Of course if it is an original finished 70's Fender strat body you would def' kill the dollar value by taking off the finish. But....I am looking at it from the perspective that you are attached to the whole guitar and not just pcs' of it so it is worth a shot. If it fails, your in the same boat when started and not out a lot of money....unless of course you eventually sell the body...

The easiest thing though (imo) to do would be to buy a quality replacement body and throw all the parts on it. Take the old body and store it someplace or sell it if you prefer.

Archived