whats a good cam for youtube vids?

fuzzylogic220

• Members

I have one of these. You may be able to find one of the HV20's for under $500. Same camcorder, just a bit older model. They are great for everything. I prefer good ol' tape to other media because tape is cheap and you can archive your footage without tying up a $150 memory stick or hard drive.

hv30-2.jpg

• Members
Apparently the Flip video camera is pretty nice for YouTube...do you have a FireWire port? If so, any Sony, Panasonic or Cannon camcorder will do you just fine

I personally use this, but it costs about $4k new...

l_13110028.jpg

I have wanted that camera for a long time! Im jealous

• Members

Camera won't really make a huge difference. I would make sure you get one with a firewire port. Hopefully whatever pc, laptop, etc. you use has one as well. For the most part, usb sucks for video. The real difference is going to be the software & codecs you use. I have & use a Sony DCR-TRV140, but mostly use it for racing & the kids occasionally. I've had it for a little while & haven't looked into camcorders lately so really can't say what specific models or their costs. As long as you aren't filming fast moving objects you should be fine. Otherwise no matter how good you filter & encode it, youtube will {censored} it up with their conversion. However, you should be fine videoing yourself playing though & just about anything else. Microsoft movie maker will get the job done, if you have a pc. I forget what Mac users use.

Archived