See ya at AES?

Kendrix

• Members

One of these days I'm gonna storm into one of these trade shows in a burnt orange pimp suit, tab collars and all. I'm gonna strut down that floor like Johnny Knoxville in a Tarantino flick. I'm tired of just reading these tales of drunken debauchery.

I like that parallel universe comment. Once it kicked in, I was like :idea:

That would make a great sci-fi flick. Directed by Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez. ;)

• CMS Author

I basically saw half the show - Jon Chappell and I were there to do videos, so I did booths from row 700 on up, and he did booths from 600 on down.

What a heck of a way to see the show, but at least you got the section with more of the less mainstream stuff, which to me is the most fun. I spent most of my time on that side of the hall.

I guess video interviews must be a petty hot item to justify an "assignment" like that. I saw a couple of other magazine writers walking around with their microphones and video cameras at the show. I suspect that I'll read less in the way of show reports and be directed more to web sites to watch a video. That rarely does it for me but I guess it's the way of the future.

It never occurred to me to ask the price, but someone told me that the Earthworks piano mic system was over $3K! Izzat so? Lots of companies usually at the show were conspicuous by their absence. I guess even companies like Universal Audio are now considering NAMM to be their big audio show.

• Members

I guess video interviews must be a petty hot item to justify an "assignment" like that. I saw a couple of other magazine writers walking around with their microphones and video cameras at the show. I suspect that I'll read less in the way of show reports and be directed more to web sites to watch a video. That rarely does it for me but I guess it's the way of the future.

Well, I suppose it's a combination of a) what you're familiar with, and b) what people expect in a world that's more and more multimedia-based. It's not that video replaces text, per se. I'm sure there will continue to be plenty of stuff written about gear at shows like AES.

But sites like the one you're on now (as well as all of the magazine sites) are now expected to offer video footage. Unless someone like Craig shoots and edits the videos, all you get are those provided by the manufacturers, and are, ahem, possibly less than objective.

I don't think it's a matter of "justifying" the assignment. It's valuable content that the sites need, and that many people want. And, like making a record these days, the power to put video creation is in the hands of the people... not just the elite.

Archived