Epiphone G-400 Vintage : Made in China vs. Korea ?

woodsmandan

• Members

A few years back, I got one of those "Vintage" G-400, worn brown, beautiful and pretty good sounding. I had a Standard Gibson SG at the time, so I sold The Epi. Mine was made in Korea. I also had a Korean Epi Wildkat, and based on those 2 Korean Epis I owned, the quality semmed pretty good.

Now, I would like to get another Vintage G-400, but it seems production was moved to China. How would the new chinese ones compare to the korean I had ?

Vintage-Series-G-400-br-lg.jpg

• Members

The funny thing is, back then (2004-2005), the Vintage G400 sold for almost 600$ new here in Canada. I sold mine used for 400$ and now, I can order one brand new for 299$ at my local shop ! I don't know if it's an effect of the chinese being cheaper, or the US dollar dropping, but either way, I think I'm getting one !

• Members

I've played the new ones just here recently, and was very impressed. It's a great guitar. With a pu upgrade, it'd be every bit as good (if not better) than the Gibson Special Faded SG.

Gibson's just been droppin the ball lately....:cry:

• Members

I've played the new ones just here recently, and was very impressed. It's a great guitar. With a pu upgrade, it'd be every bit as good (if not better) than the Gibson Special Faded SG.

Gibson's just been droppin the ball lately....
:cry:

I'm having serious thoughts about doing this... getting a G-400 and modding the poop out of it, but... It's not that I like the NAME Gibson, it's that I like the bigger pickgaurd and potential resale value. Just gotta find a good one.

• Members

I'm having serious thoughts about doing this... getting a G-400 and modding the poop out of it, but... It's not that I like the NAME Gibson, it's that I like the bigger pickgaurd and potential resale value. Just gotta find a good one.

If you like the bigger pickguard check out one of these, i've got one and its great

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455

To the OP, my G400 '66 is a Korean and i also have the G400 Ltd White w/ EMGs from china and it's build quality is pretty similar, there was one sharp fret end on the chinese one, other than that it was fine.

• Members

i dont think the quality is much different from china to korea, but....

the new epi g400 faded is not the same guitar as the old "vintage" one. the old one had a 1 piece neck and no veneer on the body. it also had a bound fretboard. the new one is a 3 peice neck, veneer front and back, and no fretboard binding.

its also a good chunk cheaper than the old one as well ($400 vs $300 i think).

so if you had an old one and liked it, the new one might not be what you are expecting. the image posted is the old one in the first post. basically, go find one to try before you buy.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

They're great.

The new G-400s, vintage or no, have neck binding now.

Also, epiphone owned and operated permanent factory.

The vintage G-400 can outplay a gibby faded SG when ya put in new wiring and a set of GFS pickups.

Two fat pats 60. (hotter, more modern, think gibson 490/498)

Two vintage 59's $ 80(Warmer, more vintage, think classic '57s)

"les paul" Wiring upgrade kit: $22

You'll love your guitar. It'll cost less and play better than a used SG faded.

Archived