Tuner question

claffman

• Members

Not only fast string changes.

The other thing they do is cut down on excessive string wraps around the post of the tuner.

So you don't wind up with a bulging mass of sloppy string wraps that tend to slip as the string gets tighter.

They don't (almost) completely stop string slippage like a nut lock almost does. Floyds and Kahlers come with fine tuners to fix this after the nut lock is engaged.

But they are a step in the right direction. We are all looking for tuning stability.

If you have to change your tuners, it's still not a bad idea.

If you don't have to change/replace broken or bent one's,...why bother if the old one's still work fine?

• Members

Not only fast string changes.

The other thing they do is cut down on excessive string wraps around the post of the tuner.

So you don't wind up with a bulging mass of sloppy string wraps that tend to slip as the string gets tighter.

They don't (almost) completely stop string slippage like a nut lock almost does. Floyds and Kahlers come with fine tuners to fix this after the nut lock is engaged.

But they are a step in the right direction. We are all looking for tuning stability.

If you have to change your tuners, it's still not a bad idea.

If you don't have to change/replace broken or bent one's,...why bother if the old one's still work fine?

I don't think "bulging mass(es) of sloppy string wraps" come with the tuners so much as idiots who don't know how to put strings on their guitars. I have never had a "bulging mass" of string around any of my tuning posts, locking or otherwise.

I have also never experienced the strings "slipping" on the tuning post on any of my guitars. Ever. Not even a little.

I don't think it has as much to do with the tuners themselves as it does putting the strings on correctly. If you* have a bulging mass (I'm guessing you mean more than one "layer") of strings on your tuning peg, it's certainly not the fault of the tuner.

*generalized "you", as I'm thinking you probably don't do this.

• Members

I don't think "bulging mass(es) of sloppy string wraps" come with the tuners so much as idiots who don't know how to put strings on their guitars. I have never had a "bulging mass" of string around any of my tuning posts, locking or otherwise.

I have also never experienced the strings "slipping" on the tuning post on any of my guitars. Ever. Not even a little.

I don't think it has as much to do with the tuners themselves as it does putting the strings on correctly. If you* have a bulging mass (I'm guessing you mean more than one "layer") of strings on your tuning peg, it's certainly not the fault of the tuner.

*generalized "you", as I'm thinking you probably don't do this.

+1. I have trem guitars without em that work just fine. I think on trem guitars, the tuner stagger that happens to come with the 6 in line set and the elimination of the string trees is a much larger factor in stable tuning than the lock itself. If someone made a cheap set of staggered non locking tuners, I'd never by another locking set. I've used the Wilkinson EZ locks for this reason alone. Anyone know of a reasonably priced set of staggered non locking tuners ?

• Members

+1. I have trem guitars without em that work just fine. I think on trem guitars, the tuner stagger that happens to come with the 6 in line set and the elimination of the string trees is a much larger factor in stable tuning than the lock itself. If someone made a cheap set of staggered non locking tuners, I'd never by another locking set. I've used the Wilkinson EZ locks for this reason alone. Anyone know of a reasonably priced set of staggered non locking tuners ?

Absolutely. The string trees do have an effect on tuning stability with a trem (I guess a bend could bind them somewhat in the tree, as well, though it's not as likely), but the tuners themselves have little to no effect. The trees, and the nut, can be points of friction, though.

The tuners on the EJ Strat are non-locking and staggered, but I'm not sure even if Fender sells them seperately from the guitars, or how much they cost if they do.

Archived