First Act?!?!?!

Eddie27

• Members

I stumbled on a reference to custom First Act guitars the other day and have been smitten by what I've seen on their website. The stock Lola and Delia are 2 of the coolest looking guitars I've seen in years. And the custom page is amazing. Has anybody played these things? There are few HC reviews. The custom are expensive and the SFA models are dirt cheap - I'd probably pull the trigger on one if it was somewhere in between.

• Members

I've been to the showroom in Boston. Played a few of their USA Custom Shop Guitars - all very nicely made, unique vibe, but expensive - $2-$3K. Imports were a total mixed bag. Some were nice, others were dog {censored}, in the $300-500 range. I wouldn't order one unseen.

• Members

I've been to the showroom in Boston. Played a few of their USA Custom Shop Guitars - all very nicely made, unique vibe, but expensive - $2-$3K. Imports were a total mixed bag. Some were nice, others were dog {censored}, in the $300-500 range. I wouldn't order one unseen.

My brother has the one that they gave him when he bought his Volkswagen. I keep telling him to smash it onstage.

• Members

The thing about First Act is, they go from selling $200-$300 crap, to $2k-$5k gold. There is no in between. So the poor people have to settle for crap, and the rich guys get the best. Again.
:o

I think they're trying to fill it in a little bit - I thought I saw them bring out some stuff in the $700-900 area recently. But who knows if its actually good.

• Members

i bought the Paul Westerberg one with one single coil and the one with 2 singles and the built in distortion. They both sound pretty good and play ok. The only thing is, after some time, they kinda feel like a toy. Don't know what it is, exactly, but there's something lacking. the necks are sort of like a PRS, except the finish is rougher. I'm hooked on SX and Agile, currently, which are more like what I enjoy playing.

hope this helps.

• Members

Their music-store guitars (as opposed to the Wal-Mart specials) are legitimate instruments.

That said, I've never been fond of the necks on any of the ones I've tried. To me, they are terrible-feeling guitars.

But as has been mentioned elsewhere, they deserve props for at least going with some original and interesting designs, instead of just being yet another company that lives off clones of Fender & Gibson models.

I have been to the First Act store as well and I came away feeling that the medium range guitars were pretty damn good. Well built instruments with very nice tone. I can't vouch for every guitar in their line but my suspicion was that you could get an excellent instrument at a reasonable price without much problem there. They have a cheapie I really liked. Under $200 with nice P90 like punch. It's the Paul Westerberg model.perfesseratwork01.jpg

I got lucky and fell across this First Act at a Guitar Center inventory clearance sale for $150. As excellent a guitar as I've ever played.

It's an ME821

FS07.jpg

FS05.jpg

FS08.jpg

FS06.jpg

FS04.jpg

FS03.jpg

FS02.jpg

FS01.jpg

Here are a couple of semi hollows from their store:

twocooldesigns.jpg

This is a clip of me playing my ME821! http://hcbts.arkay.de/frets99/Feed%20the%20poor%20jamFirst%20Act.mp3

I played that EXACT light blue semi-hollow when I was there. That one in particular was a real stinker. Very muddy and the tone controls were useless. Give me an Epi Sheraton any day of the week.

I didn't play those. :o

I just thought they looked cool.

• Members

What do you think of the clip of my First Act?

Be honest. I gots teh thick skin!
:D

I like it. Very thick and smooth. Really nothing to complain about there! :thu:

The particular guitar I referenced in your picture was particularly disappointing because I had just finished playing two First Acts that were a couple hundred dollars cheaper - and they were pretty solid. Nothing mind blowing, but for $200 or whatever they played reasonably well and had a decent middle of the road sound. Which is the most I expect out a guitar of that price, but you know me, I'm picky. :cop: Then I picked up the blue one, which is the next price bracket up and semi-hollow (and I usually love semis) and it was just a totally bummer. So it definitely made me call into question their consistency which is why I wouldn't recommend buying without trying. But I would say the same for Epi and Squier as well.

• Members

On the High On Fire album Matt Pike is appearantly playing First Act guitars. I would guess that they're the high end ones.

Matt's is a custom designed 9-string guitar from First Act

MattPikeHOF.jpg

"The bottom three strings (E, A, and D) are regular guitar strings, while the top three (G, B, and high E) are from a twelve-string making the total number of strings nine. Apparently, First Act constructed the guitar just for Matt."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Pike

I like it. Very thick and smooth. Really nothing to complain about there!
:thu:

The particular guitar I referenced in your picture was particularly disappointing because I had just finished playing two First Acts that were a couple hundred dollars cheaper - and they were pretty solid. Nothing mind blowing, but for $200 or whatever they played reasonably well and had a decent middle of the road sound. Which is the most I expect out a guitar of that price, but you know me, I'm picky.
:cop:
Then I picked up the blue one, which is the next price bracket up and semi-hollow (and I usually love semis) and it was just a totally bummer. So it definitely made me call into question their consistency which is why I wouldn't recommend buying without trying. But I would say the same for Epi and Squier as well.

Fair statements! :thu:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to say +1 to First Act as well.

I purchased a Custom Delia (Picked it up December '07). I absolutely love this guitar. Great action, sustain for days. Could not be happier. Kelly, Jay and the rest really took car of me on this one.

www.myspace.com/kpatrickmckinney

Rhythm Guitarist Half Shell Band ( www.halfshellband.com )

• Members

I've played both the CE-530 and CE-540 Delia. If you keep checking the J&R website, you might find the 540 for $169: set neck hollowbody, nice axe.

I had a 530 for a while, returned it because it was more purple than red....

The 540 is a nice axe. If I had room...

Archived