Standard or Deluxe Tele

vanillawafer

• Members

noiseless pickups, abalone dots, back contour

Actually, those are the things that have me somewhat more interested in the deluxe. I've heard the noiseless pickups are nice. Of course I've also heard they are bad.

I'm pretty sure this post is a lost cause because everyone is going to have an opinion one way or another. I guess I should probably find a place where I can play them both and decide.

• Members

Between those two - I'd get the standard Tele.

Just have one built by Benford or Mason guitars and save some $$ for a Tele that is as good or better than the Fender...

I was thinking of having a Standard-Deluxe Benford with Searcy pups built sometime next year when I have the money, if I can get past that headstock look.

• Members

Isn't that a Fender Deluxe in your avatar?

Yes I'm thinking of getting rid of my other two guitars and keeping just the Tele Deluxe and the Benford if I have it built. I really don't want more than two guitars for now. Well maybe a Bass...

• Members

Actually, those are the things that have me somewhat more interested in the deluxe. I've heard the noiseless pickups are nice. Of course I've also heard they are bad.

I'm pretty sure this post is a lost cause because everyone is going to have an opinion one way or another. I guess I should probably find a place where I can play them both and decide.

Very smart move. Our lead player in our band has a Deluxe, and he loves the noiseless pickups. I don't care for their tone. The back contour is the only thing I like better on the Am Deluxe. The best way to choose is to play both of them for yourself. Either will be fine instruments.

If you get a chance - also try out the Fender Baja Tele. It is MIM, but it is a great sounding guitar. The pickups in it are better than in either the Standard or the Deluxe.

• Members

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

One other thing, do you all generally buy from a place like GC or do you rely on the bigger online stores like Sweetwater, MusiciansFriend...

Not sure that I want a guitar shipped, but I'm also not sure I like dealing with GC since they don't cut deals anymore and I would have to pay local sales tax of .0825. However, I do have a 10% off GC coupon to burn this month.

Does GC even keep the standard and deluxe stocked in their store boxed up, not the ones hanging on the wall?

• Members

If you get a chance - also try out the Fender Baja Tele. It is MIM, but it is a great sounding guitar. The pickups in it are better than in either the Standard or the Deluxe.

Good call, I've really been thinking about this Tele too because the price is great! Not sure I like the looks, but it could probably grow on me.

• Members
I would tell you to buy the Deluxe. That way, if you hate it, you can sell it to me
:)

I think I am going to just buy the Deluxe from Musicians Friend or Sweetwater. I went to 4 Guitar Centers here in Texas and none of them had the Baja or Deluxe, so I couldn't try them out. GC inventory sucks these days.

Archived