It's happening, finally.

halljams

• Members

Where the hell did y'all get the idea she's Jeff Beck's daughter?
:confused:
She's from Australia. Played with a LOT of folks - check her Myspace page.

I'm sure she'd be really glad that so many of you guys noticed her tits, too...
:rolleyes:

Well, maybe I misunderstood this comment from the YouTube website:

"Ok, back after watching many great videos from this amazing concert, and researching the background story of Jeff Beck's daughter getting to play on stage with Dad. I think Tal is overloading the internet today after we all said, "Who IS that girl?" while watching PBS last night. Going to get the DVD, how did I miss this conccert ?! I'm over fifty and live in Chicago?! Doh!"

(My capacity for misunderstanding stuff far exceeds my ability to guess right... I'm waaay better at being wrong that being right; I've has so many years of practice!!)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I asked Dave Weckel once what he liked and didn't like about playing with guitarists. He said he thought most of them had bad time, except Jeff Beck.

Here's my take on this, and I love Jeff's music and Zappa's.

I think that to reach a high level of artistry there has to be a certain amount of perfectionism. I see Jeff's music as mostly straight ahead in terms of time signature, but very crucial in the area of feel - pushing or pulling the beat. In time, but loose, with a feel that works for the melody. Zappa, with his odd time signatures is more of a precision thing.

Getting everyone on the same page in terms of feel is probably more difficult than working towards a metronomic precision.

One of the biggest challenges is establishing the rhythm and then making a variation that respects the rhythm, but works off of the beat to create something expressive. You can't play off the beat properly without knowing where the precise beat is.

And I'm guessing Jeff is more of a gentleman about discussing what he wants. Zappa being more of a misanthrope.

• Members

I'm wondering how many "a LOT" and "constant" is? I've played in bands with a few women and this was never an issue. That doesn't mean the subject of sex or a relationship with a female bandmate was never discussed amongst the guys when kicking back after a practice, but it was never pursued. It never affected how we viewed her talent. I think all of the musicians I've known seem to understand that crossing the line kills bands. You may look but you don't try to take it out of it's display case.

I can think of at least 12 different instances of walking away from auditions, rehearsals, collaborators, a producer that suggested becoming my "Sugar Daddy", while yet another producer told me that I would suck his D in a heartbeat if he were to lay a contract to Atlantic in front of my face.... These men were more interested in trying to score (with the girl) rather than observing a woman's musical talent and showing respect. Make of it what you will, but it's down right humiliating to a woman.

In addition to the 12 above, I tried working with two different married men who were very diligent in music and 100% respectful, never wavering from the interest of music, and both situations became unbearable due to jealous wives. There was never more than musical chemistry with either, something that neither wife was capable of providing. One was a studio musician that I was paying by the hour and the wife began jacking with the books and overcharging me severely. When I spoke with the man's mother, who was also involved in the business, about the inaccurate charges; she apologized for and corrected the errors while explaining that the wife had extreme problems with jealousy, having taken her husband from another woman herself. The guy was an incredible musician and well worth every penny spent, but it wasn't worth the aggravation of dealing with an insanely jealous woman who made it a point to be present every time I booked a session.

ALL of those instances were BEFORE I ever went out on a limb and posed for a photo shoot in a bikini....

• Members

photo shoot im a bikini?!@?

this thread is discriminatory from its onset... posting a thread about a girl who plays bass and stating "finally!" as if females werent good enough prior. course you do have meg white weighing you down.

she masturbates a lot on bass fron the youtbue vids.

• Members

I got an email the other day with some statement Kramer from Seinfield made in court or something re defending himself against his racist remarks that got him into trouble. Everyone has probably seen it. I'm not posting it.

The reason suppressed categories of people are allowed so much Leeway is because the people allowing it to them know that it was they who were responsible for the suppression in the first place. It's fundamental courtesy.

I'm not saying it can't get out of hand, but everyone keeps asking WHY. That's why.

• Members

I can think of at least 12 different instances of walking away from auditions, rehearsals, collaborators, a producer that suggested becoming my "Sugar Daddy", while yet another producer told me that I would suck his D in a heartbeat if he were to lay a contract to Atlantic in front of my face.... These men were more interested in trying to score (with the girl) rather than observing a woman's musical talent and showing respect. Make of it what you will, but it's down right humiliating to a woman.

In addition to the 12 above, I tried working with two different married men who were very diligent in music and 100% respectful, never wavering from the interest of music, and both situations became unbearable due to jealous wives. There was never more than musical chemistry with either, something that neither wife was capable of providing. One was a studio musician that I was paying by the hour and the wife began jacking with the books and overcharging me severely. When I spoke with the man's mother, who was also involved in the business, about the inaccurate charges; she apologized for and corrected the errors while explaining that the wife had extreme problems with jealousy, having taken her husband from another woman herself. The guy was an incredible musician and well worth every penny spent, but it wasn't worth the aggravation of dealing with an insanely jealous woman who made it a point to be present every time I booked a session.

ALL of those instances were BEFORE I ever went out on a limb and posed for a photo shoot in a bikini....

Yeah... In my (somewhat painful) experience, a man or woman who is willing to cheat on their 'other' or to try to steal affection from someone already in a relationship will also try to steal from and cheat those they work with and work for. The true color of a persons soul always shines through, eventually... and once in a while that color is a foul shade.

Archived