Peavey Classic 30 vs. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

elsupermanny14

• Members

I clicked on "Classic 30" before I even read the question. The Peavey Classic series rocks my world.

Some people are addicted to Fender's famous "sparkly" clean tone. If so, there is no substitute for the Fender.

I actually like the more understated cleans of the Classic, and LOVE the crunch, which is neither Fendery nor Marshally, but chock full of win in its own way.

• Members

Very dependent on what you want-- cleans or OD. You can't get good cleans from a pedal, but you can get any flavor of OD/Distortion, so I would opt for the amp with the better cleans and reverb. Therefore, my vote goes to the Fender. I really like the Classics though. I think they're stout amps that cover a lot of ground.

PaulS

• Members

A used C30 is one of the best deals around (imo) if you need a reliable Rock N' Blues, classic Heavy Metal type amp. They def' have earned the name "workhorse". Mines a keeper.

That said I do have other amps...like an early 60's Ampeg Reverberocket to name one. That's got some really great tone happening. But my grab and go amp is def' the C30.

• Members

Here's a thread exactly like this one from 4 days ago...

and my post there reads:

Apples and oranges.

Both good amps.

Can't go wrong with either for the price.

Let your ear decide (find somewhere to play them both).

Exactly what I was thinking. Two completely different animals. One is true Fender clean while the other is going to give you that Marshall EL84 crunch tone. I chose the HRD because of the cleans. Actually, I have a HRD and a Crate VC30. That way I can get either sound I'm looking for.

• Members

I've played both, own the Classic 30 and wouldn't trade for an HRD. I find it easier to dial the C30 in to a sound I like, and it's a lot more compact than the HRD.

That said, I do prefer the HRD's footswitch functionality: the C30's footswitch controls channel and reverb, and doesn't have indicator LEDs, while the HRD's switch lights up and controls channel and boost, which is a lot more useful than being able to turn the reverb on and off on the fly.

Archived