DRRI Club???

StratoSlacker

• Members
I remember asking for recommendations for OD pedals that would suit the DRRI before and you suggested the Fulltone OCD and posted a few clips, mostly (IIRC) of lead playing, I was wondering if you had any that show what it's like with chords? (preferably with a bit of palm muting and so on)

If you're looking for an OD that suits the DRRI, I just purchased a Barber Direct Drive and it is a perfect for the amp....hell, it's probably the perfect fit for any amp. Not quite your typical tubescreamer clone (which I used for several years, and sounded fine through the Deluxe Reverb), the Barber pedal really brings out the personality of the amp and guitar like no other effect I've ever played. It's not a clean boost sort of pedal, but that's about my only minor criticism. I'm in the middle of mixing a song we just recorded with the new pedal and I'll post it when it's done.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hey i'm in!
:thu:

That fizz you hear on the vibrato channel with pedals is probably at low volumes yes? At louder volumes you don't hear it, but at around the house volumes that fizz is pretty apparent. The C10 bright cap needs to be clipped.That will tame the fizz.

No, even on the normal channel with the treble turned down the distortion still sounds really thin and uninspiring.

• Members

I remember asking for recommendations for OD pedals that would suit the DRRI before and you suggested the Fulltone OCD and posted a few clips, mostly (IIRC) of lead playing, I was wondering if you had any that show what it's like with chords? (preferably with a bit of palm muting and so on)

Unfortunately I don't have anything recorded with the OCD using a higher gain setting...I would cook something up but I left my pedalboard at school (home on spring break). Here's one clip that shows how open and responsive it is with chords, although it's low gain and no palm muting. Strat.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=702186&songID=5459336

The OCD has a really natural overdrive sound. It is not very compressed and doesn't get a super sustainy or smooth tone, it is more transparent and crunchy. Like most pedals, it's good for some applications not others. It sounds kind of fizzy through the vibrato channel on my DRRI to the point where I only like to use it for a light amount of dirt and boost. On the normal channel it absolutely roars like a cranked Marshall...Zeppelin and AC/DC heaven. I really need to get an A/B switch just so I can run that pedal on the normal (I like the vibrato more on its own).

• Members

If you're looking for an OD that suits the DRRI, I just purchased a Barber Direct Drive and it is a perfect for the amp....hell, it's probably the perfect fit for any amp. Not quite your typical tubescreamer clone (which I used for several years, and sounded fine through the Deluxe Reverb), the Barber pedal really brings out the personality of the amp and guitar like no other effect I've ever played. It's not a clean boost sort of pedal, but that's about my only minor criticism. I'm in the middle of mixing a song we just recorded with the new pedal and I'll post it when it's done.

The Direct Drive is soooo sweet. As cool as the OCD is (more touch responsive in particular) the Direct Drive is my #1...it sings. Kind of like a TS9 with more gain on tap - it can do the overdrive thing and it can be a full on distortion. What were you using for OD previously? Looking forward to hearing your clips! :thu:

• Members

The Direct Drive is soooo sweet. As cool as the OCD is (more touch responsive in particular) the Direct Drive is my #1...it sings. Kind of like a TS9 with more gain on tap - it can do the overdrive thing and it can be a full on distortion. What were you using for OD previously? Looking forward to hearing your clips!
:thu:

I used a Jeckyll/Hyde for a couple of years. Really nice pedal, and I got some good stuff out of it. I just wanted to look into a less traditional tubescreamer sound, and I knew that Barber Electronics has a stellar reputation coupled with surprisingly affordable pricing. I'm keeping the J/H around if only for the more extreme "Hyde" side, but the Barber is probably gong to be permanently mounted to my board from here on out.

I'm going to try and post that song tonight...the rough mix I have right now is good enough for government work. ;)

• Members

Glad you liked the clips guys. The DRRI is my favorite amp.

Metallica, love the sounds you get out of that OCD. I've been thinking of you getting another one. They have a 4th version out now.

I swapped the speaker in my DRRI. It came with a Jensen P12Q, which is a nice speaker, but a little too bright, and teamed with the DRRI it got too brittle. Over on the FDP & TGP alot of DRRI players go with a Cannabis Rex or Red, White & Blues. I found a Celestion G12H30 for cheap locally and put that in. Love it. Has a nice big bottom end, and still retains the chime and sparkle, and runs pedals really really well.

I think if some of you guys are getting some fizz with pedals at low volumes, you owe it to yourself to get that bright cap clipped. It's reversable if you don't like it. It does make a difference especially if you play pedals at around the house volumes.

Here's another trick an amp tech told me. If you get the bright cap clipped, both channels with essentially sound similar, the vibrato channel a tad brighter because of the extra gain stage. Take the 12AX7 out of V1, making the normal channel unuseable. Now play only from the vibrato channel. The vibrato channel will now sound louder, fuller, more complex and with a little more gain as well. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Members

Unfortunately I don't have anything recorded with the OCD using a higher gain setting...I would cook something up but I left my pedalboard at school (home on spring break). Here's one clip that shows how open and responsive it is with chords, although it's low gain and no palm muting. Strat.

The OCD has a really natural overdrive sound. It is not very compressed and doesn't get a super sustainy or smooth tone, it is more transparent and crunchy. Like most pedals, it's good for some applications not others. It sounds kind of fizzy through the vibrato channel on my DRRI to the point where I only like to use it for a light amount of dirt and boost. On the normal channel it absolutely roars like a cranked Marshall...Zeppelin and AC/DC heaven. I really need to get an A/B switch just so I can run that pedal on the normal (I like the vibrato more on its own).

I know you use the Direct Drive quite a bit too. How do you compare the usage of the DD versus the OCD on the DRRI?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read your follow up post that answered my question.

• Members

Here is the song I promised earlier. It's still a rough mix, but it's almost there. The important thing, of course, is the DRRI which is the only amp I used on the song. Here are the details for those interested:

Clean Rhythm: Reverend Avenger TL (mid pickup)-->Maxon CP101 Compressor-->DRRI (normal channel)

Overdriven Rhythm: Reverend Avenger TL (neck pickup)-->Barber Direct Drive-->DRRI (normal channel)

Lead: Reverend Avenger TL (mid pickup)-->Barber Direct Drive-->DRRI (normal channel)

The amp is completely stock. The reverb is a Garage Band plugin. Hope you enjoy!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6385696

• Members
Here is the song I promised earlier. It's still a rough mix, but it's almost there. The important thing, of course, is the DRRI which is the only amp I used on the song. Here are the details for those interested:

Clean Rhythm: Reverend Avenger TL (mid pickup)-->Maxon CP101 Compressor-->DRRI (normal channel)

Overdriven Rhythm: Reverend Avenger TL (neck pickup)-->Barber Direct Drive-->DRRI (normal channel)

Lead: Reverend Avenger TL (mid pickup)-->Barber Direct Drive-->DRRI (normal channel)

The amp is completely stock. The reverb is a Garage Band plugin. Hope you enjoy!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6385696

Nice sound on all the tracks! The lead tone with the Direct Drive sounds great, warm and natural sounding and just the right amount of gain dialed in. For the prices he charges his pedals are a steal...although I have no real need for one, I'd love an LTD. And a Tone Press :D

• Members
Nice sound on all the tracks! The lead tone with the Direct Drive sounds great, warm and natural sounding and just the right amount of gain dialed in. For the prices he charges his pedals are a steal...although I have no real need for one, I'd love an LTD. And a Tone Press
:D

I got the Maxon CP101 instead of the Tone Press just because the store was out of the Barber pedals at the time. I've never regretted the Maxon, but I'm sure the Barber is every bit as good. Isn't the LTD a sort of lower-gain version of the Direct Drive?

I'll say this about the DRRI...it is the easiest amp I've ever used for getting good recorded tones. I just stick a microphone in front of it and go...no fiddling with EQ after the fact or worrying about moving the mic around. It's almost too easy to get the sound I want out of it. My old Mesa amp was a lot different in this respect...took a lot of tweaking to get what I wanted out of it.

• Members

What I like about the DRRI is that there's no much to mess up. Sure, you can tweak the knobs but it basically has one tone. Which is a good thing. I used to have a Mesa as well - not only did it not record well I just don't think it sounded that good. With all those bells and whistles I could never really figure out where the amp's natural tone was. With amps, less is more.

• Members

What's the best speaker upgrade for DRRI?

I'm gonna bump this because I'd like to know if anybody's put a Weber speaker into their DRRI. I've used Webers on two of my other Fenders and they've been very nice. On a DRRI, however, I'd like to use some of their higher end models (were I ever to upgrade...which is not priority considering how good the stock Jensen is!)

• Members

I'm gonna bump this because I'd like to know if anybody's put a Weber speaker into their DRRI. I've used Webers on two of my other Fenders and they've been very nice. On a DRRI, however, I'd like to use some of their higher end models (were I ever to upgrade...which is not priority considering how good the stock Jensen is!)

Which model Webber?

I actually have an Ampeg SJ-12T. I want to swap out the speaker on that and thought that a good fit for the DR might be a good fit for the SJ. Regardless, I'm curious what people are putting in their Deluxes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

sure, although it never really took off

send your $200 in yearly dues to me and you're in!

how are you digging your amp?

i can't make it to a lot of the meetings. :thu:

Best amp i've ever owned. it gave my pedals new life. $549 used at GC. :thu:

• Members

I'm in too; The only name I could come up with was the DRRIfters, but I reckon ^^^that one's better.

I'm particulary interested in hearing about which pedals (especially OD) and pickups work well with this amp.

Single coils are best matched to a DRRI in my opinion. After alot of OD trial and error my absolute favorite pedal is a Barber Direct Drive.

• Members

Single coils are best matched to a DRRI in my opinion. After alot of OD trial and error my absolute favorite pedal is a Barber Direct Drive.

Carl Martin HDnB sounds really good with my strat.:thu: Happycat, rat clone, sounds very nice too.

• Members

what kind of music do you guys play? I have a DRRI and it sounded great clean and with a low gain overdrive but as soon as I turn on the distortion the amp sounds terrible. All fizzy and just awful. Even after I adjusted it just doesn't compare to the gain sounds I get out of my HRDx. And its not even like I'm playing metal or anything. Just normal rock music.

try plugging into the dry side (sans reverb and vib). those inputs seem to handle stomp boxes much better.

if anyone can shed more light on this and if tehre's a way to fix it please do!

Archived