NGD --- Almost - And suggestions needed please...

clund

• Members

Hey everyone, NGD is coming... (this Friday if FedEx does their job) I traded a PRS SE Soapbar II for a Schecter C-1 E/A and I am very excited.

Here is a pic the guy I am trading with has sent. (Thanks Tomh777)

schecter003.jpg

I am very excited to have a Piezo pickup equipped guitar... but the magnetic pups that come stock I'm not sure of... I have heard this guitar's pickups are just... OKAY. And I was thinking some Nickel covered pickups would look GREAT in this guitar. So I am planning on changing them out (After listening and deciding myself if I don't like them of course), and wanted some suggestions on pickup choice.

I would like to have medium to slightly hot output pickups... slightly hotter of course in the Bridge. I have a Kramer with a JB in the bridge, so I'm thinking maybe something just a little less hot than a jb. I thought maybe a SD-59' in the Neck and a Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge?? Maybe? I was also thinking maybe going with Gibson Burstbuckers... Maybe pro / maybe 2 neck - 3 bridge... but not sure. I want this guitar to have kind of an ES-335 type sound - be able to growl a bit, but clean up nice.

Anyone have this guitar or similar semi-hollow and found a good combination of pickups?

Thanks ahead of time for all of your help!!!

- Corey

• Members

Unless I am mistaken, from the pic it looks like it has SD's in it. I'd wait and see after taking some time with it before replacing the pups. YMMV

They are what they call "Duncan Designed" So they are wound like a Duncan, but are not True Duncans... Yes, True, I will wait and see if they are good, but every other review I have read says, the pickups are terrible. Muddy and very plain. I know they are all just opinions, but when many people reviewing the same product say the same thing, I tend to believe it.

• Members

I had an Ibanez SZ, which is a very similar guitar, sans the piezo and the chambers, and it was like night and day going from the Duncan Designed crap it came with to a JB/Jazz set. And FYI, a JB in a basswood Kramer is going to sound a lot different than a JB in a mahogany semi-hollow.

• Members

I had an Ibanez SZ, which is a very similar guitar, sans the piezo and the chambers, and it was like night and day going from the Duncan Designed crap it came with to a JB/Jazz set. And FYI, a JB in a basswood Kramer is going to sound a lot different than a JB in a mahogany semi-hollow.

The JB/Jazz is still on the possible list... I know it's a good pickup set, just not sure how the JB will do on cleans.

• Members
IIRC in the guy's for sale ad, it said it had been upgraded with a JB/'59 or JB/Jazz set. It also looks like it says Seymour Duncan on the pickups to me, not Duncan Designed
:idk:

You know... after a closer look... You might be right. It does say Seymour Duncan on it... and not Duncan Designed... I will let you all know when I get it. The cream pickup rings will have to go at least. Thanks for pointing out something my dumb ass should have noticed the first time!

- Corey

• Members

I didn't care for the piezo when I had that guitar a while ago. I recall it sounding interesting, but not terribly useful, particularly on its own. It might sound decent direct into a PA, but it sounded rather shrill and tinny through the guitar amp. It was neat to mix it in with the magnetic pickups, though.

• Members

I didn't care for the piezo when I had that guitar a while ago. I recall it sounding interesting, but not terribly useful, particularly on its own. It might sound decent direct into a PA, but it sounded rather shrill and tinny through the guitar amp. It was neat to mix it in with the magnetic pickups, though.

Yeah you're not really supposed to run the piezo into a normal guitar amp, usually straight into the board or an acoustic amp or something.

• Members

I already have a DI and an open port on my MixWiz 16:2... So that is where this pickup is going.

• Members

Just got the guitar... THANKS TOMH777!!!! SO... I have not had a chance to plug it into an amp (I'm at my office), but I pulled out the pickups to check the back for model... and it's a JB Bridge (SH-4), and a Jazz Neck (SH-2N). I'm even MORE excited about this guitar now.

I will let you all know when I get a chance to crank it into my amp! :)

- Corey

Archived