George Harrison's slide tone

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Well, this might help a little bit. the only time I've ever seen George play slide live.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

His rig looks to be pretty damn basic here. As for the albums, though, I'd imagine there's a lot of Phil Spector "echo-y-ness" about.

Damn, I want to know how he got that tone, though....

• Members

My only thoughts would be Fender amps, he was using Twins alot during Let It Be sessions. The other amps around the beatles that i have seen were Selmers and of course various Voxes. The Selmers are a mystery to me as they were strictly for the Euro/UK market, I think they were made to a high spec in Germany. The concert for Bangladesh seemed to have a big backline of fenders,but who knows who used what.

The only other guy to nail George's tone IMHO was one of the guitarist in Badfinger,

"Day after Day" comes to mind. I know George did alot with them, but not everything.

You know he was George, he mostly was an off the rack guy gear wise, and I think he could make anything sound great. God love him!

• Members

One of the first things that I noticed in that video was the amps. Look behind Georges head. Do see that little Fender? Is that a Princeton or a Champ?

When I listen to this slide tone, I hear something that is very close to Clapton's "Layla" tone and we know that EC layed down that track with a Champ. Plus he and George were best friends and jam mates (untill EC stole Georges wife anyway...).

Take one Champ, add in a vintage style Strat with low output pickups and with some woodsheding, you'll get the tone.

Maybe...

• Members

One of thefirst things that I noticed in that video was the amps. Look behind Georges head. Do see that little Fender? Is that a Princeton or a Champ?

When I listen to this slide tone, I hear something that is very close to Clapton's "Layla" tone and we know that EC layed down that track with a Champ. Plus he and George were best friends untill EC stole Georges wife anyway...)

Take one Champ, add in a vintage style Strat with low output pickups and with some woodsheding, you'll get the tone.

Maybe...

that seems pretty reasonable, actually. if nothing else, the tone here is reasonably easy to replicate.

• Members

The only other guy to nail George's tone IMHO was one of the guitarist in Badfinger,

"Day after Day" comes to mind. I know George did alot with them, but not everything.

That would be Pete Ham.

Pete and George played slide guitar in unison on "Day after Day". Pete rehearsed that solo for 2 weeks before performing it with George in the studio. Pete was very influenced by George's slide playing.

It also features Leon Russell on piano.

Here's a Badfinger jam with Pete on slide.

[YOUTUBE]bidVR-eQMzg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well, come to think of it, there's one tone of his that I always wanted to figure out. And its not his typical clean tone.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

3:15 in. where it sounds like someone screaming, or yelping, or something. just, extremely vocal in the timbre of it. if I could figure out how the hell to get that, I think I'd be happy...........happier.......maybe....

Archived