40th Anniversary Fender Twin..????

streetknight

• Members

I've got it. Basically, it's a high-power Deluxe Reverb, of course with two speakers instead of one. These three amps are very similar in sound, just different speaker and wattage configurations.

Deluxe Reverb - 1 12" Speaker - 22W

Twin Reverb - 2 12" Speakers - 85W

Super Reverb - 4 10" Speakers - 45W

My Twin Reverb is mint and for sale. PM if you're interested in getting a deal better than at your GC. It's just too much amp for my needs. :thu:

• Members

Twins are great amps. Tons of clean headroom and very, VERY loud. Almost too much amp for most players anymore, but they sound awesome.

The Super Reverbs use 10" speakers and that has more of an effect on the bottom end - a tighter sound. Less tendency to be boomy...

• Members

Twins are great amps. Tons of clean headroom and very, VERY loud. Almost too much amp for most players anymore, but they sound awesome.

While there are downside to the big wattage and volume, if you want to play clean clean clean all the time, the Twin is THE amp!

Twins, Supers, and Deluxes are all very pedal friendly and they sound amazing when turned up a bit and are right on the edge of distortion. I personally like the Deluxe because this can be achieved at sane levels (ie in a small rehearshal room), but I appreciate the more muscular sounds of Twins and Supers.

• Members

I've got it. Basically, it's a high-power Deluxe Reverb, of course with two speakers instead of one. These three amps are very similar in sound, just different speaker and wattage configurations.

Deluxe Reverb - 1 12" Speaker - 22W

Twin Reverb - 2 12" Speakers - 85W

Super Reverb - 4 10" Speakers - 45W

My Twin Reverb is mint and for sale. PM if you're interested in getting a deal better than at your GC. It's just too much amp for my needs.
:thu:

I agree on all points, but mine is not up for sale.

But it really does sound like a Deluxe Reverb just MORE. The big diff is that with the '65, it's got more power and twice the speaker (trying not to sound too redundant here) and what that gives you is much more "thunk" (and I'm talking individual note thunk, not Marshall/power chord cabinet thunk) and dynamics to your tone. It's really more than twice that of the DRRI, because it gets to sound dynamics the DRRI just touches base on.

But I also agree that it is a lot of amp. I have maybe a dozen or so amps of different sizes, and I fire that one up about the least because I'm a home hobbyist and I feel like I'm powering up a major power station when I flick that one on.

But I still recommend them because they really give you a tone that shows you what Fender is really about. I'd think of the DRRI as more of a blues amp and the extra capability of the '65 makes it a better amp for surf music (lots of dynamics and lots of clean headroom) when you're not using a PA system.

And, for some reason, my '65 takes pedals much better than my DRRI. I get a great classic overdrive tone with a TS9 + '65, whereas with my DRRI + TS9, it gets a bit harsh and fizzy. But I do suspect something's off with my DRRI. So I'm using my DRRI just for cleans until I get that issue resolved.

• Members

I'd love to have a Twin. I had one in the shop earlier this year with primarily bad and mismatched or wrong output tubes. It was beat to hell and looked like crap. The cabinet had been repaired on top where that part separated from the rest of it, probably because of the huge magnets on the aftermarket speakers they had in there. But, it sure did sound sweet.

• Members

I agree on all points, but mine is not up for sale.

And, for some reason, my '65 takes pedals much better than my DRRI. I get a great classic overdrive tone with a TS9 + '65, whereas with my DRRI + TS9, it gets a bit harsh and fizzy. But I do suspect something's off with my DRRI. So I'm using my DRRI just for cleans until I get that issue resolved.

Did you try using the normal channel for your pedals? I think I remember suggesting that to you in another thread awhile ago. I use an A/B splitter so I get the vibrato channel cleans and the smoother OD on the normal side.

• Members

Did you try using the normal channel for your pedals? I think I remember suggesting that to you in another thread awhile ago. I use an A/B splitter so I get the vibrato channel cleans and the smoother OD on the normal side.

Yeah, I did thanks. But it didn't make much of a difference. I think mine might have some tube issues. I mail ordered it some time back from Music 123, and noticed that issue right off the bat. I probably should have returned it "right off the bat" but I was confused as to whether it was my pedal frying or the amp. I'm still not certain and need to do some more A/B testing, but I should also just bring it to a tech to see if possibly the shipping damaged a tube and is creating some microphonic distortion at those higher gain levels.

• Members

Saw one of these beauties in GC in the used section the other day. Awesome amp. What's the general opinions of these?

How are they compared to a Super Reverb?

Get it! I love my Twin. it truly brings out the character of each of my guitars. If you like to hear what you and your guitar actually sound like then it is your amp! Plus is has excellent headroom and takes effects very well.

• Members

The Super Reverbs use 10" speakers and that has more of an effect on the bottom end - a tighter sound. Less tendency to be boomy...

+1

The SRs with Strats are just a match made in Heaven. While the TRs take on Humbuckers, Gibsons etc just Beautifully matched.

My two favorite Amps.

• Members

Get it! I love my Twin. it truly brings out the character of each of my guitars. If you like to hear what you and your guitar actually sound like then it is your amp! Plus is has excellent headroom and takes effects very well.

Yup, If I work on a guitar. Swap pick-up for example. The Twins the amp I go with to find out EXACTLY what the guitar sounds like. No Hidding from the TR man.

I did a SG Standard today. Pulled the 490 neck and soldered in a BB-Pro. Man through the Twin? Sounds UNREAL!

• Members

Yup, If I work on a guitar. Swap pick-up for example. The Twins the amp I go with to find out EXACTLY what the guitar sounds like. No Hidding from the TR man.

I did a SG Standard today. Pulled the 490 neck and soldered in a BB-Pro. Man through the Twin? Sounds UNREAL!

I bet that SG sounded sweet through the Twin. You are right, there is no hiding from the twin - it exposes the nuances of both the player and the guitar. While it is a monster of an amp, I also find it to sound surprisingly good at low volumes.

I'll be swapping the neck pickup in my LP Studio with a Lollar Humbucker soon (it will be my first attempt at a pickup swap). The first play it gets will be through the Twin:thu:

Archived