Anyone else see Zappa Plays Zappa?

Karma1

• Members

I caught it last night on PBS, although it was only about an hour's worth of the whole concert dvd which is at least three hours. But I was really impressed! Dweezil Zappa is quite a hot guitarist. I don't think I've actually heard him play before, but I was amazed at how well he played and covered Frank Zappa's parts with such skill. I expected him to be totally overshadowed by Steve Vai when they shared the stage, but Dweezil more than held his own - and that is saying something.

I can't say I've been a huge fan of Frank Zappa over the years, although I was heavily into his Hot Rats album when it came out, as well as particular songs here and there. But I've always respected his artistry and guitar chops. As Dweezil said last night, " lot of people just associate him with silly songs and kids with weird names." Hearing his music played live last night, though, made me realize the incredible intensity of his composing. He incorporated elements of jazz fusion, prog rock, and classical creating complex song structures unlike practically anything else in rock - a true original.

Dweezil's band was amazing too - mostly younger players, definitely not from his dad's era. Everyone in the group was a virtuoso, and pretty much needed to be to play such intense music. It was cool seeing someone playing vibes in a rock band context - not a common sight. I didn't know what to expect last night when I tuned in, but it was really something. Definitely makes me want to get the full length dvd.

• Members

I saw that show on the first tour in Atlanta. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

I saw them in Connecticut on this tour, it was amazing. Best show I've ever been too. I missed seeing Frank live during the 80's due to it being my "metal years." Quite sad really. I really like FZ's works and think Dweezil did a very good job of pulling it off live.

The DVD is very good, and frikken long! Only complaint is it can be a bit sterile sounding at times, but is a great watch.

• Members

It takes a lot of practice to faithfully reproduce most of FZ's music. The band Dweezil has assembled do it right.

And yes, it isn't all about silly or dirty songs.

Even though a lot of those are damn good, too.

dweezil and vai should play this

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

and from the sound of it, vail would still be pwned ;)

• Members

I saw the first show they played on their tour last summer. It was June 2007 in our concert hall with 2nd row seats. I sat right in front of the other guitar player in the band and could hear his Bogner right from the stage... amazing {censored}e!!! Dweezil is an awesome performer too; I'd like to get a DVD of it.

• Members

I might be the biggest loser in history. Last summer they came to a little ampitheatre in Cleveland and I had 2 tickets. We stopped in to visit my folks on the way and when we left I had a bad attack of social anxiety so I asked my wife to just take us home. How stupid is that?

I'd call myself a moderate Zappa fan. I only have about 30 of his recordings. Certainly less than 1/2.

Archived