The music biz has'nt changed at all!!!

flatfinger

• Members

It's quite possible that Intellectual Property rights may be a

concept that simply cannot be sustained in the new era of

internet connectivity.

At least for anything that can be digitised.

It's funny... every time I see the abbreviation IP I automatically

think Internet Protocol...not Intellectual Property.

When you look at it that way you could say that IP is killing IP.;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But you have to consider what that means. If you cannot sustain a concept of IP, then you cannot sustain any industries that generate IP. Do you know how big those industries are and how important they are to our society?

I do.

History is littered with examples of important industries and organisations

that were wiped out by new technology or social change of some kind.

Life goes on.....

• Members

No, it's littered with examples of important industries whose technologies were superseded. It is NOT littered with examples of extremely important industries whose technologies continue to be incredibly important to the economy but were destroyed by wide spread theft of the product. They reason they went away was because what they provided wasn't required or desired anymore. This is NOT the case with software, movies, and music.

• Members

It's quite possible that Intellectual Property rights may be a

concept that simply cannot be sustained in the new era of

internet connectivity.

At least for anything that can be digitised.

It's funny... every time I see the abbreviation IP I automatically

think Internet Protocol...not Intellectual Property.

When you look at it that way you could say that IP is killing IP.
;)

hmm, a lot of IP isn't particularly rendered unsustainable even when digitized.

patents, for instance, are fully exposed at the time of publication of application and issued patent. The patent necessarilly describes the invention so you don't even have to RE. That this information is now easier to find, could potentially be HELPFUL in showing willful infringement.

trade secrecy, I suppose a digital trail of leakage could , likewise, be helpful in recovery there

I'm not seeing how digitizing would fundamentally alter trademark (HeyI suppose it could help in the policing of one's mark. There might be some issues on what constitutes the market each player is operating in, etc)

The funny thing about copyright, is it really is born out of the ability to copy (without ability to copy...addressing if one has the right to copy is sort of moot).

• Members

I see the issue as the death of the RECORD business, not the music biz.

This argument keeps going around and around,

so I'll repeat myself as well.

I believe if musicians stop releasing recorded music,

it will increase the value of music in general,

and force people to attend live performances.

I think this would be a good thing for most musicians;

in particular, the ones who can really perform.

• Members

"...The funny thing about copyright, is it really is
born
out of the ability to copy (without ability to copy...addressing if one has the right to copy is sort of moot).

Yes.. but it also becomes moot if the copyright owner can no longer control

who copies their work..

Digitising it simply makes it easier to copy.

And harder to control.

If anyone can copy/reproduce a work without the original creators

(or their licensees) permission, then the whole concept of IP is moot

as well.

There is no copyright without the ability to control who makes a copy.

• Members

i may be in the minority here, but while I do think record sales are effected by p2p downloading, I find myself, purchasing MORE music after being able to sample/preview work. I downloaded a Bob Marley Discog, Ive since purchased every album at some point. Same for parliament and funkadelic. And these are bands you don't see on the shelf at your local Best Buy. Not here anyway.

• Members

i may be in the minority here, but while I do think record sales are effected by p2p downloading, I find myself, purchasing MORE music after being able to sample/preview work. I downloaded a Bob Marley Discog, Ive since purchased
every
album at some point. Same for parliament and funkadelic. And these are bands you don't see on the shelf at your local Best Buy. Not here anyway.

Somebody always comes in and says that. It's partially true, but it's not really representative of the masses of downloaders. You can probably think of many other things you downloaded and never ended up buying despite enjoying it. As a reformed downloader, I know I can think of many examples myself.

Live peforming IS going to become even more important than it already was....those who won't or can't perform are going to be SOL. No more Brian Wilsons laying in bed. No more using the studio as an instrument. Poof.

One solution from a creator's side would be to add value to the music, pick your accompanying merchandise. Society as a whole has already started doing that for us anyway....buy a Big Fatty Combo Meal, get 10 free downloads. Redeem your Wheaties UPCs for free music downloads, etc etc.

So, what I'm saying, is you better have some damn good ideas for breakfast cereal. Or an energy drink. Brawndo The Thirst Mutilator (see: Idiocracy).

Archived