Edwards Guitars

amaleelake

• Members

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could inform me about Edwards guitars. I went to their site and they definitely have some nice stuff at decent prices but I would like to know more:

Has anyone here had experience with them?

How do they compare to Gibson's of the same models?

I am considering buying a Gibson ES-335, but have heard a lot of negative stuff about the build quality lately and was looking around for other options. The Gibsons that I have played were nice, but if I could get the same quality for $1000 less - I am all over it.

• Members

Its not exactly the same quality, but they are certainly good quality for the money. Not sure how the weak dollar does against the Yen right now, but I think they are great bang-for-buck alternatives.

I had the below Edwards, and I'm a Gibson nut and I would say the Edwards was comparible to a nice Gibson Studio, but with more frills. It did not stand up to my R7, however, it cost 1/3 less. I would say with the Edwards you're getting 2/3 the Gibson gutiar at 1/3 the Gibson price. I've only owned the Les Paul Custom version Edwards, I can't speak for the 335.

IMG_7764.jpg

• Members

That's a pretty sweet guitar! Looks like you modded it with the EMG's huh? Why did you get rid of it?

Thanks for the succinct description of "....2/3 the Gibson gutiar at 1/3 the Gibson price." That makes a lot of sense. As far as the dollar vs. yen, they have a 335 looking model on their site for $1000. That is $1000 less than any Gibson 335, not bad at all.

What would you say was the difference between the quality of the Edwards and the Gibson specifically?

• Members

About the 335, if you did decide to get one, look it over and pick it apart completely, if it ain't spot on, and I mean 100% perfect, you have more than enough reason to send it back.

I will get a gibby standard? (not sure which one yet) in the long term. You can bet your bottom dollar that that sucker is going to be perfect. I will go so far as to tell my mate at the local music store that he should make sure its perfect or expect a return I am sure he will understand and make an effort to ensure this as well.

• Members

What would you say was the difference between the quality of the Edwards and the Gibson specifically?

I would say its more an issue of a different sound and feel, not so much quality. QC is very high on the Edwards. From what I understand, the Edwards lacquer taste series have a thin shot of nitro over a poly base finish, so they aren't true nitro but the outside looks like it.

I first had different uncovered Duncans in mine (always disliked both the JB and 59 that they come with), and then I went to EMG's. I sold it because I actually am happy with the handful of Gibsons I already own. It was just an impulse buy and something to toy around with.

• Members

The Bacchus site doesn't seem to be working at the moment but I did find some of their other models on another site. They make beautiful guitars, but no 335 models that I saw. I will try their site again another time though.

The Tokai's look great. Some of the pricing is right up there with Gibson, but if they really are as good of quality, then they have some models that are worth checking into more.

• Members

The Bacchus site doesn't seem to be working at the moment but I did find some of their other models on another site. They make beautiful guitars, but no 335 models that I saw. I will try their site again another time though.

The Tokai's look great. Some of the pricing is right up there with Gibson, but if they really are as good of quality, then they have some models that are worth checking into more.

My $1200 new Tokai, (I think it was a LS135 at the time I bought it, and now it's a LS150) is comparable to a R8. (Probably better)

Honestly, it's the best guitar I ever played.

• Members

well for me, at $350.oo-$400.oo a used Edwards from the Duncan series is hard to beat, in fact it can`t be. Because so many people are after the tokais, prices have gone way up. Anyways, I just don`t see many used Tokais in this city, plenty on line though and half the population of the planet is bidding on them...the other half is after old Greocs now.
There is a 335 type in the Edwards/Duncan line, solid top and back and very nice, mine was heavy though so I sold it, plus my Yamahas are just much more to my liking.
As for the Korea/Edwards connection...theres the same rumor about China, so as far as we really know, it just rumor. Are the Edwards the best MIJ Les Paul types made today? Not even close, but at the prices I pay for mine certainly the best deal.

• Members

I have a Gibson LP Standard and an Edwards LP P90 Goldtop.

They're pretty comparable. The Edwards probably wins in the fit and finish department, but the Gibson just feels like a better made guitar. It's not a huge difference, and it's not something I can give any concrete examples of. You just have to play both of them to understand what I'm talking about.

They both sound great, they both play great, and they both look great, but the actual Gibson just feels a little bit nicer than the Edwards.

Still, I paid $1400 for my used Gibson and got my new Edwards for just over $700. Both were money well spent, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Edwards. Can't say I'd ever spend over $2000 on a new Gibson sight unseen though.

• Members

I have a black Edwards 355 and its plays and sound fantastic. More like 90% of a great Gibson for 1/4 the cost. I did have a 80's Gibson 345. The set up was perfect. Bone nut & Duncan pups. It's quite heavy & solid maple. The black top is satin so some might not like that, but it doesn't get the swirls and looks better then the back that does shows the wear. While it does not have the vibe/ mojo of an American made semi, I see no point to upgrade to a Heritage 555 so it cured my semi gas.

• Members

very good guitars at a very good price, basically. if you can pick your way through about 20 gibsons to find the best one (talking standard range here, not custom shop), you could probably get a gibson which is nicer than the edwards (but it'll cost you twice to three times as much). certainly i've tried off-the-shelf gibsons over here which don't hold a candle to my edwards, i wouldn't buy a gibson blind (as i did with my edwards).

gibsons do have the all-nitro finish, though, which is worth keeping in mind (and also the fact that the pound and dollar don't buy as many yen as they used to, so edwardses aren't as good value as they once were). and certainly if you have enough for a CS gibson, that'd likely be nicer than an edwards (but then again, for that kind of money you'd be in range of navigators, high-end tokais, bacchus etc.).

this probably isn't much help, but it's really up to you.

Archived