some news i thought i would share and a little advice if poss

chrisebrooks06

• Members

edit ; problem sorted now, thanks

hi

hope your all good, i have just got my new flat, first time moving out, im nervous/excited, finally have a cool place to jam into the evenings and beyond.

now the question, i have some guys helping me move my stuff and i have some nice gear including a tube amp, also my first tube - whats the best method of transport for something this fragile, i dont have access to my own car hence my concern.

also we be offline for a few weeks maybe cos i need services to connect Broadband etc.

will miss ya.......... for a little while anyway lol :p

but any advice would be cool, some people say remove tubes etc?

• Members

Its not really that big of a deal. My amps survive car rides to and from gigs and practice without incident.

If you are worried, you can always remove the tubes. pack them well in a box and put them back in when you get to where you are going.

simple as that.

• Members

Yeah, I think you'd be better off not futzing with the tubes at all. Your amp was designed to take a little abuse, and if its never left your flat, I don't think one trip will hurt it. Like Boots, I take my amp to practice and gigs in the trunk of my car, sometimes three or four trips a week. Just make sure when it is transported that you have it sitting upright, preferably wedged between a couple things so that you ensure it won't fall over. We think of tube amps being fragile (cause of the glass tubes or the maintenance that goes along with them, idk) but they're really pretty rugged.

• Members

If you're worried, take the tubes out (with a cloth - try not to get fingerprints on them).

Congrats on moving out - I'll be doing the same next month, and I'm kinda worried/excited.

i honestly cant wait, but its kinda all happening quickly now and once im settled i will be fine:thu:

• Members

I wouldn't worry about the amp/tubes because I would be the one handling the fragile parts.

I would worry if I had to rely on strangers who don't know or care how fragile some things are.

You aren't moving that far away are you?

Just make sure you stow the amp securely and safely. Like face down on a blanketed floor or the grill facing another flat surface for a combo.

If you are paranoid, take the tubes out. But don't forget, you're taking another risk if,...you're clumsy or not fussy about how you package these tubes.

Archived