Edwards 335? Is it good?

DStreur

• Members

Do you know, you're so right. I'm glad I don't own some stupid early 60s dot neck Gibson 335 piece of crap with its useless laminate top. Come on Gibson - get it right for crying out loud!

Yeah, you probably want to have that one rebuilt. In fact, you might as well just get rid of the whole guitar and get yourself a solid top instrument. I'll be happy to take it off your hands for free and will even pay shipping. ;)

• Members

You might consider one of the MIJ Tokais...I have a lefty ES 120, it's a fantastic guitar....I had previously owned a 1997 Gibby 335 and a mid to late 60s Gibby 12 string 335 (I strung it with six strings). The Tokai is much better in every department to the 97 335 and on par with the 60s 335. They really are good guitars....everything is top notch...the guitar was perfect out of the box...the intonation is among the best I've ever had in a guitar, the guitar itself stays in tune for days...it's that stable. The fit and finish are flawless as is the fretwork and the hardware is all Gotoh and the Tokai MkII pups are fine. This is one of the few guitars I've owned that I don't feel the need to modify in any way. Here's a few pics.

48b9_3.jpg

They are priced about the same or maybe just a little bit higher than the Edwards.

BTW....I have an Edwards Les Paul and it's also an awesome guitar.

That is beautiful! Where did you find that in a lefty? I've never been able to find the Tokai's in lefty although I keep hearing they make them, and obviously they do.. I have the Edwards 335 and it's a great guitar. I've been trying to find a lefty Tokai or Edwards with p90's but haven't had any luck so far.

• Members

That is beautiful! Where did you find that in a lefty? I've never been able to find the Tokai's in lefty although I keep hearing they make them, and obviously they do.. I have the Edwards 335 and it's a great guitar. I've been trying to find a lefty Tokai or Edwards with p90's but haven't had any luck so far.

I browse Ebay all the time for Tokai, Edwards and other MIJ guitars...I spotted it one night, showed it to my wife and got her OK on it and hit the 'buy it now'...I haven't seen another one since...I got it from Ebay seller Hisashi....he's a dealer....you could email him and see if he can get another one.

• Members

Thanks for the heads up mate! Wow, that 339 sure looks good on those pics. Looks way better than the rendered images. I might just order it from Italy as we don't have to pay extra taxes as long as it's from the EU

Exactly but don't forget to add shipping cost... with insurance it was

• Members

Even so, it sure as hell beats paying import taxes!

Did you order from that site?

P.s. Very nice site and your 339 looks absolutely stunning!

How's the OTS treating you? I've got the opportunity to take one on a little test drive tomorrow! I can't thank Steven enough for welcoming me into his house and allowing me to take his OTS for a test drive! :-)

Yes I did, from centrochitarre.net.

Thanks man...

...since I got my OTS, I have no more amp GAS, I even sold my DRRI and I loved that amp.

• Members

Yes I did, from centrochitarre.net.

Thanks man...

...since I got my OTS, I have no more amp GAS, I even sold my DRRI and I loved that amp.

wow even if it's that good, I doubt I'll sell my DRRI! It's a great amp to take to gigs :-)

Anyways I'm on my way to test it right now!! I'm so anxious, lol.

Edit: just back from my little test drive, the cleans are stellar! The overdrive is pretty good, but the cleans were WAY better than what I expected it to be. I played my Strat and his Tele through the OTS and man, I was blown away!

• Members

wow even if it's that good, I doubt I'll sell my DRRI! It's a great amp to take to gigs :-)

Anyways I'm on my way to test it right now!! I'm so anxious, lol.

Edit: just back from my little test drive, the cleans are stellar! The overdrive is pretty good, but the cleans were WAY better than what I expected it to be. I played my Strat and his Tele through the OTS and man, I was blown away!

Now you know why I sold it. ;)

:thu:

Archived