Edwards 335? Is it good?

DStreur

• Members

I've been looking around for a 335-style guitar and I heard good things about Edwards LP copies, but haven't heard anything about their 335 copies.

Does anyone have any experience with these? The specs seem quite good!

E-SA-118LT_TSB.jpg

Also for 1000USD it's a bargain if it really has a solid top, back & sides (i.e. no laminated crap)!

Thanks guys! ;)

• Members

Also for 1000USD it's a bargain if it really has a solid top, back & sides (i.e. no laminated crap)!

Laminated tops/backs/sides are traditional on hollow and semi-hollow bodied guitars. The notable exception is the spruce topped jazz box. But Gibson has been using maple laminates on 335's since 1958 and there is nothing inherently inferior about them.

Right now, and I mean this literally, I would be putting one of those ES339's that Musician's Friend has for $1350 in my shopping cart rather than having an Edwards shipped from Japan.

• Members

Laminated tops/backs/sides are traditional on hollow and semi-hollow bodied guitars. The notable exception is the spruce topped jazz box. But Gibson has been using maple laminates on 335's since 1958 and there is nothing inherently inferior about them.

Right now, and I mean this literally, I would be putting one of those ES339's that Musician's Friend has for $1350 in my shopping cart rather than having an Edwards shipped from Japan.

Is that so? I'm an acoustic player at heart still so I don't like laminated wood :p

The ES339's are 1700EUR here, so that's about 2350USD :(

• Members

Is that so? I'm an acoustic player at heart still so I don't like laminated wood
:p

The ES339's are 1700EUR here, so that's about 2350USD
:(

Yeah, that's too much for that guitar. Edwards are great.

This is from a Harmony Central feature a few years ago about the Jim Hall model Sadowski guitar:

Sadowsky and Hall also agreed on a laminate construction in the belief that a laminated archtop performs better through an amplifier than a solid wood model. In fact, Hall's previous guitars, a D'Aquisto and Gibson 175 were laminate guitars.

• Members

Yeah, that's too much for that guitar. Edwards are great.

This is from a Harmony Central feature a few years ago about the Jim Hall model Sadowski guitar:

Sadowsky and Hall also agreed on a laminate construction in the belief that a laminated archtop performs better through an amplifier than a solid wood model. In fact, Hall's previous guitars, a D'Aquisto and Gibson 175 were laminate guitars.

I always thought laminated guitars are more prone to cracking/breaking etc. I like my guitars to last longer than I do! :-)

• Members

I always thought laminated guitars are more prone to cracking/breaking etc. I like my guitars to last longer than I do! :-)

There are thousands of 50+ year old Gibsons with laminate construction that are still going strong. Like I said, it's a traditional construction method for hollow electrics. This one is from 1960 and the shop is asking $34,350 for it.

photo1_7bc92-Original.jpg

• Members

There are thousands of 50+ year old Gibsons with laminate construction that are still going strong. Like I said, it's a traditional construction method for hollow electrics. This one is from 1960 and the shop is asking $34,350 for it.

photo1_7bc92-Original.jpg

$34,350?? Looks like it isn't even all original.. Now where did I leave my wallet :lol:

• Members

Edwards QC is without a doubt as good as, if not BETTER THAN GIBSON!

I'm NOT saying they build a better 335. But you can't go wrong with there Quality/Price ratio. ESPECIALLY if you can buy used in MINT cond here in the States!!!!!

I sold my LP-CUSTOM in favor of a SG Standard that I just LOVE. I just didn't care for the Edwards Tone and weight. But it certainly was built fantastic. The particular set of SD 59/JBs in the Edwards were just NOT as good sounding as an exact set I have in my Hamer Mirage II? And I happen to come across an AWESOME 06 SG Standard and a brand new BB-pro Chrome cvered neck pick-up. So with in a week I had the SG playing UNREAL. Very addicting guitar and Tone now with the BB-Pro/498 combo!!!!

So I had a buyer for a very high $950 ebay BIN on the Edwards. And the fellow LOVES the Edwards. Very Very happy with it. So EVERYONE went home a winner? A week after I bought the SG the Standards went uo $200. in price? Damn they are at $1499. now for the EBONY Standard. $1500 is NO-JOKE fo a SG Standard. And I believe if you play a few, you'll come across one that is KILLER. I came across a CLASSIC I regret NOT buying for $900? BUT................you can't have EVERYTHING...could ya? At least not all at once.

• Members

The Yamaha SA-2200 is ANOTHER VERY GOOD CHOICE. 4 Thumbs up on that idea! Great QC there also.

You know you could still buy GIBSON 135LEs for around $1000. in MINT cond. they are a seriously great Semi and are constantly going up in price.

The 2003 is a Fantastic model and a little rare as they only made the T.O.M. and Stop-Tail 135 for 6 months with a Mahogany Center block, set of 57 classics and a 59-profile neck? Good Time to grab one before they are UNTOUCHABLE? I've seen them hitting $1200-$1400 now? I watched a RED one from 03 and a Two-Tone Sunburst 03 sell on E-Bay in two-days with the BIN for $1599. and $1249 respectively. The RED one was actually like new.

• Members

Solid top guitars are much more prone to cracking....laminates are much more stable and less prone to shrinking.

• Members

The Yamaha SA-2200 is ANOTHER VERY GOOD CHOICE. 4 Thumbs up on that idea! Great QC there also.

The SA-2200 is about the same price as the Edwards (if you include shipping from Japan). I'll just have to find a shop that has the Yamaha so I can test drive it :-)

Perhaps I'll just have to save up for a REAL 335 :idea:

• Members

You might consider one of the MIJ Tokais...I have a lefty ES 120, it's a fantastic guitar....I had previously owned a 1997 Gibby 335 and a mid to late 60s Gibby 12 string 335 (I strung it with six strings). The Tokai is much better in every department to the 97 335 and on par with the 60s 335. They really are good guitars....everything is top notch...the guitar was perfect out of the box...the intonation is among the best I've ever had in a guitar, the guitar itself stays in tune for days...it's that stable. The fit and finish are flawless as is the fretwork and the hardware is all Gotoh and the Tokai MkII pups are fine. This is one of the few guitars I've owned that I don't feel the need to modify in any way. Here's a few pics.

48b9_3.jpg

479f_3.jpg

481f_3.jpg

477a_3.jpg

They are priced about the same or maybe just a little bit higher than the Edwards.

BTW....I have an Edwards Les Paul and it's also an awesome guitar.

• Members

You might consider one of the MIJ Tokais...I have a lefty ES 120, it's a fantastic guitar....I had previously owned a 1997 Gibby 335 and a mid to late 60s Gibby 12 string 335 (I strung it with six strings). The Tokai is much better in every department to the 97 335 and on par with the 60s 335. They really are good guitars....everything is top notch...the guitar was perfect out of the box...the intonation is among the best I've ever had in a guitar, the guitar itself stays in tune for days...it's that stable. The fit and finish are flawless as is the fretwork and the hardware is all Gotoh and the Tokai MkII pups are fine. This is one of the few guitars I've owned that I don't feel the need to modify in any way. Here's a few pics.

They are priced about the same or maybe just a little bit higher than the Edwards.

BTW....I have an Edwards Les Paul and it's also an awesome guitar.

LOL, I was looking at the EXACT same guitar that just popped up on a dutch auction site! LINK!

Tempting... :):):)

I just bought a new strat this very week, otherwise I'd go for it.

• Members

I went for an Edwards 355. Solid wood, very heavy and built like a tank. Its just a year old now and I only needed to tweek the neck once. Necks dead straight, great frets, bone nut and the set up was perfect. Louder without the amp than you would think and sounds great. Much better quality than I would have thought. As for the lamanates, I like a carved top in a controled enviorment for the mojo. That Tokai blond is sure pretty!

• Members

I went for an Edwards 355. Solid wood, very heavy and built like a tank. Its just a year old now and I only needed to tweek the neck once. Necks dead straight, great frets, bone nut and the set up was perfect. Louder without the amp than you would think and sounds great. Much better quality than I would have thought. As for the lamanates, I like a carved top in a controled enviorment for the mojo. That Tokai blond is sure pretty!

Care to share some pics &/or clips? :-)

• Members

Have you looked at Heritage? I've heard great things about the Edwards and Tokai guitars, but only been able to play the usual suspects + Eastman. I Have to say Eastmans are incredibly nice for the money, but a good used Heritage really cannot be beat.

The Heritage page hasn't been updated in forever, but here is a link to Eastman's: http://www.eastmanguitars.com/models/thinline.html

• Members

yes there is. laminate doesn't resonate like solid wood.

do you play acoustic?

• Members

• Members

Lots of good options out there -- I recently bought a Heritage H535 after looking also at the Yamaha SA-2200 and the Eastman T-185. It came down to a choice b/w the Heritage and the Eastman, and I went for the Heritage out of personal preference. But any of those 3 models should be considered in addition to Gibson & Edwards.

If you shop around a bit and have some patience, you can find REALLY good deals on used Heritages and Eastmans.

Archived