1962 Gibson SG TENOR Electric Guitar??

Bert-O-325

• Members

I saw this on Ebay and was intrigued - a custom 1962 Gibson SG TENOR electric guitar??

I don't know a lot about Tenor guitars - they're tuned C G D A ?? Used to be big in the Jazz scene way back when? I have to admit that something about this really peaks my interest, although I'm sure I wouldn't be able to play it justice, and I sure aint got $1,600 to spend on it.

Ebay Link

DSCN2757.jpg

DSCN2768.jpg

• Members

Tenor guitars first appeared sometime in the 1920s and were intended for people switching over from the tenor banjo to guitar. Apparently there were still enough people interested in the idea 30 years later for Gibson to make them in the '60s. I've seen a shot of Darryl Hall playing a tenor ES330, and in recent years Neko Case has been playing tenor guitars a lot.

• Members

Tenor guitars first appeared sometime in the 1920s and were intended for people switching over from the tenor banjo to guitar. Apparently there were still enough people interested in the idea 30 years later for Gibson to make them in the '60s. I've seen a shot of Darryl Hall playing a tenor ES330, and in recent years Neko Case has been playing tenor guitars a lot.

Hey - thanks for the info!

D'ya know if they were mostly rhythm instruments or finger-style banjo ("Frailing")? Or were they used to melody? Or all of it?

• Members

Tiny Grimes played a tenor guitar. He played in the jazz clubs on 52nd Street for years. He played rhythm guitar on a Charlie Parker session, and he also played on several early Atlantic Records releases. He played in standard tuning, E-A-D-G...just like a regular guitar minus the top two strings.

Archived