How to play while standing (Guitar height/strap)

mar1988

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
how else they gonna see the tattoos?
:(

Matter of priorities, I guess ...

How about 'tantalizing flashes as you change from Les Paul to Tele and back again; full-on view as you march to stage front at the climax of your set, guitar brandished triumphantly overhead as you bask in the applause for your third encore'?

• Members

Alternatively, Trent could always wax his chest and get his tits inked.

Then sling the guitar at a practical height.

After all, Mr Page now has major back probs and recently confessed that the wrist angle was such that he could never play a barre F.

• Members

Alternatively, Trent could always wax his chest and get his tits inked.

Then sling the guitar at a practical height.

After all, Mr Page now has major back probs and recently confessed that the wrist angle was such that he could never play a barre F.

And people wonder why I play 6 inches from my chin...

• Members

I used to wear mine down low like Jimmy did. Nowadays that seems so uncomfortable for me. I had old pictures of me wearing below the waist, but the days are over,....I got a belly now! Big problem nowadays is to find a strap that is long enough. Taller guys always run into this problem.

Yeah, I'm tall & l am super lucky that my wife sewed an extention on my straps. Now I don't get choked while playing!:p

• Members

I'm in the same boat: I always practice sitting on a padded bench, and I can't play standing unless I hold the guitar up ridiculously high.

Oh well, check out these guys - at least I don't hold my guitar as high as Sir Paul held his bass! I'm more like George Harrison, I guess.

beatles.jpg

I wonder what brand of wireless those punks were using that day..... :rolleyes:

• Members

I sit down and then adjust the strap so that it's just barely tight and then when I stand up, it's in exactly the same postion as when seated. Some might say it looks a little high but the rest of my power trio ( Me, myself, and I ;) ) don't seem to care!

• Members

It was probably already mentioned that Angus Young had his SG strapped fairly high.

I'm sure that Jimmy Page's downstroke playing on Communication Breakdown wasn't the only thing that influenced Johnny Ramone; he probably also copied Page's low guitar hanging.

• Members

It was probably already mentioned that Angus Young had his SG strapped fairly high.

I'm sure that Jimmy Page's downstroke playing on Communication Breakdown wasn't the only thing that influenced Johnny Ramone; he probably also copied Page's low guitar hanging.

And his wrist problems too.

• Members

If you have to loosen the strap or undo the straplocks to get the guitar off, it's probably too high,

unless using your chin for barre chords is an essential element of your style.

Somehow I don't think too many peeps on here wear their guitars high enough for it to be a problem ...

• Members

My advice is to definitely always practice standing up, I have a good friend who never learned how to play while standing and to this day he has to sit to play, he's a decent player, but just cannot play while standing. Don't let this be you!
Also, as much as we would like to think that it doesn't matter what you look like, we know that very few things look dorkier than a guitar worn too high so as an earlier poster suggested, just keep lowering it down periodically as you get more comfortable and before long you'll find yourself right where you want to be.

• Members

Well, after 17 years of playing Ibanez (RG760s), Strats (Malmsteen/Sonic Blue)...It was quite a transition for feel of my Les Paul & Epi Joe Perry. The former coming first. I played the Epi for hundreds of hours - standing & sitting - and now I'm still having to make adjustments due to the fact the Paul is not curved where your forearm comes onto the body & the guitar sits away from my body so much compared to the "oldies" (NO belly!). Its the nature of the transition I suppose. Comments?

Archived