Do each of your guitars inspire you to play in a different way?

JohnnyR

• Members

I own what I consider to be the "basics"...Tele, Strat, LP, old USA BC Rich, Taylor acoustic and every one of them make my brain/hands "think" different styles of playing. I guess what I mean is that they each just send me off in a different direction depending on which one I pick up at a given moment. The LP and Strat inspire rock/blues styles whereas the Rich and the Tele feel like country or jazz (although the Tele can do anything) and the Taylor tends to make me think more and explore a bit deeper than the others. I'm not talking about the different tones they produce but more the feel of each one and the mindset they put me into. It is almost as if I have no control over what I will play holding each of them...they decide.

Amps are another story and I have Fender, Marshall, Mesa + some oddball types as well and they all have their definite strengths with the Mesa being the most "all around, do anything" amp.

Is your brain ruled by the differences in the spectrum of your gear?

J.R.

• Members

I find myself favoring a kind if fifties clean style with my strat and more hardcore stuff with my SZ.

Its cool how stuff like that works. When you find a sweet spot on a guitar, why try it on another one?

• Members

I only wish I had as many ways to play as I have guitars.

But to some small degree, sure.

Like my Jacksons sound like {censored} clean, so that makes me crank the gain, also true with my ESP Eclipse.

Other guitars compliment cleans.

I tend to believe that for the most part, there are no bad guitars, just bad applications.

• Members

Yea definitely

I really wish I could be the guy who only has one guitar that he plays everything on, but experience has shown me that certain guitars bring musical ideas out of me that others just don't. What's really frustrating is when I have a great idea with the wrong guitar. It's like listening to someone singing karaoke. Sure they sing all the words correctly, but it's just not the same! :lol:

One day when I'm rich & famous I'll have one of every guitar, but for now...I'm still dreaming. :)

Archived