My guitar sounds like there's socks stuffed in it

bengerm77

• Members

I am now becoming angry with my otherwise beautiful guitar that I built from parts. I have a duncan JB in a mexican strat body with Floyd Rose that sounds muffled and uninteresting. This is when compared to y Kramer baretta which sounds bright and beautiful. I'm thinking that the tone mufflage may be due to the pickup and electronics. I've got a cheap tiny little 500k volume pot in as the only pot in the signal path (it came from a squier that my friend smashed). between this and the JB in a big vacuous strat body, my sound comes out all muffled and dumb.

Halp?

• Members

The JB is the problem.

Adjust height, volume at 7ish, until ideal tone is accomplished. 10 is solo/slide setting, anything lower may get muddy.

What's my solution?

I'd like to go with a Gibson 490T Zebra, but I'd also like to be the worlds most eligible jet-setting millionare with a huge dong and clearly I can't do both.

• Members

What's my solution?

I'd like to go with a Gibson 490T Zebra, but I'd also like to be the worlds most eligible jet-setting millionare with a huge dong and clearly I can't do both.

490Ts aren't great pickups, IMO. burstbuckers are the real deal.

But, play with the height, everything has a sweet spot.

• Members

JB is big on the upper mids/treble, I don't think you'll find anything much brighter. A quality 500k volume pot isn't a bad idea for sure. Could be that it's just a bassier body/neck. Try adjusting the pole pieces and slanting the pickup so that the treble side is closer to the strings.

• Members

I was actually kinda hoping to see a picture of a guitar with socks coming out the cavities. :( Oh well....

Here's my honest addition to the thread: How does the guitar sound unplugged?

If it sounds "alive", or as alive as your other guitar you are comparing it to, then it's the pickup. If it sounds dead, or too woody, or mellow, or whatnot - then it's something in the guitar itself (bridge connection, body density, etc).

Oh - if you built this yourself, check to make sure you didn't mount the pickup in a "weird" location relative to common nodes of natural harmonics. That can sometimes cause odd tones - but that's usually more subtle.

• Members

I had a JB in my Strat for a while, I wasn't particularly into the sound, but it certainly didn't sound muffled, I'd guess it's a wiring problem, i.e. the treble in the signal is being bled to ground somewhere - wood does make a difference to your tone, but not enough to ruin the sound of a good pickup like a JB.

It'd help if you told us exactly how you've wired all the pickups in there.

Archived