Warren Haynes Tone

mnewb1

• Members

What's your budget? The Soldano Avenger is the SLO lead channel in a single-channel format. $1k or so used, maybe a bit more. Different output transformer compared to the SLO, but it's the next closest thing.

That tone is really about pushing the power section and riding the tone/volume controls on a Les Paul though. You might be better served if it's Warren's tone you're looking for and not the SLO specifically by a lower-wattage amp that you can drive hard unless you have somewhere you can open up a big 100 watter.

I have a pair of THD Yellowjackets in my Mesa Stiletto Deuce, making it essentially a 15-20 watt amp, which is sort of a viable solution, but the EL84s do change the tone and response noticeably from EL34s. It's certainly a lot more controllable and a good solution if beating on the power section is what you're after, but it's not for everyone.

Soldano makes (made?) some lower wattage models, but I don't know how those compare voicing-wise to the SLO.

• Members

Learn his solos note for note.

It takes work....... not money/gear to sound like Warren Haynes.

Or anyone else for that matter.

Could not agree more...

I guess I 'm really interested in a less expensive tube amp ( around $1000) that might come close to the SLO tone... I use Warren as an example of a player I admire who uses this amp.

Archived