need advice on this jackson guitar and possible choice which i need to make

chrisebrooks06

• Members

hi everyone,

need your great opinions as always please.

no first up i have been looking at this jackson dk2s with sustainer pick up, now i play metallica covers so im not sure whether the endless sustain will have a place in my playing or not?

the only player i have traced to use these style of guitars is phil collen of def leppard, its looks a bit gimmick to me but im not sure. i have all metallica recordings and im sure kirk doesnt use these guitars.

heres a pic :

jacksonsus.jpg

now next up i have been looking at a new stack :

untitled-1.jpg

its a kirk hammett randall stack, it retails at

• Members

Don't just limit yourself to something that sounds like Kirk Hammet, get your own sounds.

I'd buy neither and save up and get a decent amp. A half stack for under a monkey isn't gonna be great mate, deffinitely worth saving up as much as possible for the amp as I think arguably it has the biggest effect on your tone.

• Members

hi everyone,

need your great opinions as always please.

no first up i have been looking at this jackson dk2s with sustainer pick up, now i play metallica covers so im not sure whether the endless sustain will have a place in my playing or not?

the only player i have traced to use these style of guitars is phil collen of def leppard, its looks a bit gimmick to me but im not sure. i have all metallica recordings and im sure kirk doesnt use these guitars.

Kirk doesn't play Jackson guitars, as you should well know considering your avatar is the headstock from his ESP siggie model.. But that really shouldn't change a thing when it comes to your purchases. Jacksons have been used by countless players over the years, and they're really good. Today's imports (like this one) use less than stellar hardware, but that can be fixed. The necks are fantastic, the bodies feel great and the pickups are pretty decent on some models. I'd own a DK2 in a heartbeat.

As for the Randall amp, no thanks. Randall has always sounded like a swarm of angry bees to me.. Overpriced cheap {censored} with no depth..

• Members

The guitar will be a better use of your money than that amp. By all accounts, the Kirk-signature tube preamp modules on the higher-end Randall stuff are quite nice, but isn't that a solid state head that you're looking at? Althought I always prefer a "real" amp to digital models, something from Line 6 might suit you better for actually finding a proper recorded tone.

As for the Jackson DK2S, it is probably about the most versatile guitar Jackson makes. You might not find an immediate need for the Sustainiac driver for playing strictly Metallica covers, but that seems like a minor issue to me. Kenny Hickey from Type O Negative uses (or used, as part of an endorsement) Fernandes guitars with their Sustainer pickup.

• Members

The guitar looks pretty good, and the import jacksons are pretty darn nice. I have a MIJ jackson DK2 that is a great player. I have not noticed any problems with the hardware, but I rarely use the floyd...so I'm not sure I would actually notice. The neck/fretwork are awesome. I think I got mine as an MF close out for $399.99, regular 699. I've never played with a sustainer, but it might be fun to mess with.

Kirk has a randall sig, but he has played mesas for a very long time. I think his guitar sound is pretty non-distinct...by that I mean almost any high gain type amp could nail the sound. I think the best Kirk guitar sounds I have heard are from modelers, as his sound is very processed and uses lots of effects. I would make sure you get a wah pedal too. I guess my point is that almost any amp and some effects can nail his sound pretty well...so with some pedals you can probably do it with your current amp.

• Members

hi, yeah the randall forum members say this amp is pretty shoddy, so im considering a marshall, as for the guitar at the moment its a possibilty, thanks for the opinions.

kirk does use jackson and even ibanez on the live {censored} tour in the 90's, i know im limiting my sounds but tbh i love all music but metallica are the band i love and play, people laugh at me for only playing one type of music but it keeps me interested in guitar

i own 4 kirk hammett sigs, kh20,202,kh2,kh2 relic, i do own a marshall amp which i have used in the past but now its time for something different.

as alternative to amp:

1) line 6

2)marshall

3)2nd hand mesa?

i was thinking of stretching my budget to 800 uk, thats as much as i can stretch too max.

thanks for your opinions guys

• Members

as i said from what the guys said on the randall forums, the amp falls way short for what it is, the video with kirk in it surprised me, he seemed to have no idea about his product, so makes you wonder just how much input he had into its design and more importantly how much did it really feature on the new record.

im looking into marshalls at the mo, poss a JCM?

• Members

I'm mostly a Fender guy myself, but I got my 14 YO son a Jackson DKMG earlier this year and have been very impressed with it. VERY well constructed, plays like butter (though the neck profile is too thin for my taste), and the EMG's sound great for heavier music.

Archived