Which strap locks and why?

streetknight

• Members

Dunlop. Because I've NEVER had a problem with them. NOT Schaller because they wear thin in the "u" part of the mechanism. Wear completely through.

Dunlop. No substitutes if you ask me. (although UNDOUBTEDLY some hardcore guy will come on here and say to just put a washer between your strap and the strap button)

• Members

I prefer Schallers. I like the extra security the peg saddle provides along with the lock pin. I've never had any of mine wear thin, and my guitars get played a lot. A word of caution with the Schallers - put a dab of LokTite on the threads of the the strap pieces when you torque down the nut. They have habit of coming loose if you don't.

I do have one guitar with Dunlops and I've never had a problem with them either.

• Members

I have Schaller and Dunlop.
Both have been fine. I don't get too weildy with anything, but neither have ever given loose. I much prefer the Schallers, as they feel and look nicer to me. The Dunlops are a lot bigger and feel like they stick out a lot further. I don't even notice the Schallers.

• Members

I've used dunlops, but these: http://store.guitarfetish.com/paofchstlost.html are my faves because:

1. The strap end goes completely OVER the strap button, getting the strap closer to the guitar. I like that.
2. It it IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally release.
3. I like the look of the buttons.

That said, there is ONE flaw. Unlike the dunlops that use a C clip to hold the strap end on, these screw on. Consequently, you need to check the screw periodically, but it's easy because it is a knurled knob, so no tool is needed, just give it a twist. Or you could put some loctite on them I guess.

• Members
I've used dunlops, but these:
are my faves because:

1. The strap end goes completely OVER the strap button, getting the strap closer to the guitar. I like that.

2. It it IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally release.

3. I like the look of the buttons.

That said, there is ONE flaw. Unlike the dunlops that use a C clip to hold the strap end on, these screw on. Consequently, you need to check the screw periodically, but it's easy because it is a knurled knob, so no tool is needed, just give it a twist. Or you could put some loctite on them I guess.

I have these on all mine and use LocTite to keep 'em tight. Best thing out there. I DO NOT recommend Dunlops for guitars you value. I've had catastrophic failures with them I'd rather not talk about.

Archived