So what's the deal with SG's?

Woody_in_MN

• Members

So what's the deal with SG's? Not many of us seem to value them much. Not like the Les Pauls, the Strats, or even the telecaster (and clones) out there. For those who have been paying attention, I put my Epiphone SG 400 up for sale - actually a couple times over the last year. I lowered the price to $260 shipped - no bites. Not one.

So last night I was moving guitars around. I moved my SG from downstairs to my bedroom for a little variety. I had not played it for months. I picked it up. I was impressed with how light it was. Amazingly, it was for the most part still in tune. So I played it for about ten minutes. It seems to resonate nicely - even without being plugged in to an amp. The body - even though it is solid body (of course) just seemed to resonate so naturally. It seemd so easy to play - and really so different from any other guitar I have. It is a GREAT guitar! I had to re-discover how great a guitar it is. Actually I've done this twice - re-discovered how great it is. And I have to say it has the most versatility of sound of any guitar I have.

So what is it with SG's?

SG400_1.JPG

- Woody

• Members

I love my Faded and I have a little Epi Special on the way(mod project).

IMO, I think a lot of people are looking for the right SG. I had played many many SG's and really didn't like them until I picked up the one I currently own.

I would love to try out a Classic, those are effin' sexy!!

Personally I don't like the Epi neck joint or that style of neck joint on SG's.

• Members

I'd take an SG over a strat any day. Hate the neck on strats.

LP's are kinda over rated IMO, I can't get into the single cut two volume and two tone knobs.

It comes down to the fact that because Gibson LP's and Fender Strats have been around so long they are considered "the best".

thats just my opinion though.

• Members

I played an SG Classic once a good long while ago, and really enjoyed it.

However, all the Epi SGs I've tried, well, their necks were horrible. couldn't make myself comfortable with the shape: too wide near the base.

so, I dunno. I'm more of a semi-hollow fan, myself, but maybe I'll find an SG that fits someday.

• Members

I've noticed lots of guys playing SG's in the last year or two. Most have been in the country genre. Lots of guys are discovering 'Disraeli gears' was made for the most part with an SG. 'Crossroads', Clapton's classic on 'Wheels of Fire' was played on an SG. Peter Stroud the excellent player with Sheryl Crow uses an SG a lot. Your problem might be the fact that it's an Epi. Although I've heard the Epi SG's are decent, most guys prefer Gibsons. One more SG example; Pete Townshend , during the 'Tommy' era. Saw them live and Pete's tone with an SG with P-90's was as good as it gets.

• Members

I've noticed lots of guys playing SG's in the last year or two. Most have been in the country genre. Lots of guys are discovering 'Disraeli gears' was made for the most part with an SG. 'Crossroads', Clapton's classic on 'Wheels of Fire' was played on an SG. Peter Stroud the excellent player with Sheryl Crow uses an SG a lot. Your problem might be the fact that it's an Epi. Although I've heard the Epi SG's are decent, most guys prefer Gibsons. One more SG example; Pete Townshend , during the 'Tommy' era. Saw them live and Pete's tone with an SG with P-90's was as good as it gets.

I saw Cream play live on a variety show - might have been Ed Sullivan, Anyway - yup Clapton had a SG. Pete Townsend played an SG at Woodstock. I believe Hendrix used a SG from time to time.

I seem to like the neck fine on my epi - but next time I'm at Guitar Center, I'll try a Gibson to compare.

- w

• Members

I think SGs are cool. I haven't played one too much, but I still like them. Especially since Clapton (one of my fave guitarists) played one, and his old tone is one of my favorites ever. I also never understood why they get such little attention compared to LPs and other guitars.

• Members

I'd take an SG over a strat any day. Hate the neck on strats.

LP's are kinda over rated IMO, I can't get into the single cut two volume and two tone knobs.

It comes down to the fact that because Gibson LP's and Fender Strats have been around so long they are considered "the best".

thats just my opinion though.

"...two volume, and two tone knobs":confused:

Guess I'm not following you. I get the part about the single cutaway on the LP, but the SG has the same controls. Right?

PaulS

• Members

They're the most comfortable guitar on the planet. Not over-countoured like strats, light but not weak. And the look amazing

the tone is ballsy but with a big midrange punch.

Clapton, townshend, angus, even hendrix a time or two played SGs.

To me, they're perfect for most things.

LPs are better for long soloing and sustain.

Teles are better for, well, being a tele. They have they're own thing.

I'm kind of a strat hater.

But SGs, they're great.

• Members

They're the most comfortable guitar on the planet. Not over-countoured like strats, light but not weak. And the look amazing

the tone is ballsy but with a big midrange punch.

Clapton, townshend, angus, even hendrix a time or two played SGs.

To me, they're perfect for most things.

LPs are better for long soloing and sustain.

Teles are better for, well, being a tele. They have they're own thing.

I'm kind of a strat hater.

But SGs, they're great.

With the SG 400 cranked up you get that full over-drive type bark, but with the volume brought down, you can get an amazingly clear, clean jazz type sound. Very versatile - reminds me of clips I have heard of the GFS Dream 180's.

- w

• Members

I think that SGs were the bastard stepchild to the LPs - the LP always seemed to be the COOLEST guitar in my youth.

IMO it seems that as people get older :wave:, the appreciation for guitars like the SG and Tele go up. It definitely did for me on both counts, and just in the last couple of years.

• Members

I love my SG. I do like my les paul more though. But I just got a Gibson Faded SG for $400 used. Its the old one back when they had ebony fingerboards. Man is it awesome. I learned to play Rack N Roll Train (new AC/DC single) on it last night and I can feel the chords resonationg or vibrating when I play it. It is definetly a rock n roll machine!

Archived