How many people here like/love jazz?

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Members

Love jazz -- can't remotely play it.

But just gimme some Miles, Trane, Monk, Mingus, Duke, Bird, Jaco, Charlie Christian, Dexter Gordon, Jimmy Smith, Rollins (Sonny, that is), Sonny (Sharrock, that is), Ornette ...

And I'm as happy as I am with Howlin' Wolf or The Ramones.

• Members

I've been listening to Coltrane's Heavweight Champions-Atlantic Recordings today.

I'm all over the road with jazz. Just thinking of some of the artist in my collection.

Davis, Coltrane, Armstrong, Krall, Montgomery, The Rippingtons, Monk, Parker,

Weather Report, Hancock, Sanborn, Di Meola, Brubeck, Botti, Corea, Koz, McLaughlin, Benson, Fourplay.

I'm sure I've forgotten someone.

• Members

I like big band Jazz, swing, Gypsy swing, Bluesy Jazz, Jazzabilly, Creole, Dixieland Jazz, and all sorts of other stuff. I like to hear melody in the music I listen to, so I will listen to anything, including all sorts of Jazz. It starts to lose me when it sounds like just a bunch of guys noodling for the sake of just jamming with no discernable pattern or melody. I find that stuff to be utterly boring. But give me a nice powerful horn section, and a badass swinging piano player and I am all over it.

• Members
Who else loves jazz?

Define jazz .... that's like saying "who here likes/loves rock?" No offense, but you know what I mean. I love SOME jazz, like SOME jazz, tolerate SOME jazz, yadda yadda yadda. It's all good....unless, of course, it's not ;)

• Members

What's wrong with you people!? A post about Jazz, on a guitar forum, and no love for Joe Pass!? One of my all time favorites.

I am a huge fan of jazz, but as someone else said, there is the good stuff and the bad stuff. Most of the stuff already mentioned is great in my book.

I am also a big fan of Bireli Lagrene. Amazing chops on that guy, and he puts together some really nice arrangements of classic tunes.

• Members

True to my lifelong habit of perverting everything that's good and natural, at the age of forty-*hmmm*, I'm only now starting to familiarize myself with much of the significant rock of the 60s to the present. In high school and college, I listened to jazz and classical music almost exclusively.

Makes it damned hard to learn guitar. I keep thinking there's got to be more than two notes in that chord! ;) Also, I'm much too old and washed up now to gain any mojo from it. It does kind of piss of the kids when I pick them up at school with Pantera blaring from the car.

• Members

Very few guitarists have been amongst my favourite jazzers -- Christian, Montgomery, Burrell, McLaughlin, Sharrock and not many more. Compared to the great hornmen and piano players, guitarists aren't really the Big Boys in jazz the way they are in rock or blues.

• Members

Im all about Grant Green. I think hes the most underrated musician of all time.. and one of the pioneers of funk. I dig on Wes, Brubeck, Horace Silver, Joe Henderson, Bobby Hutcherson, Trane, Herbie Hancock, Monk, Pat Martino.....

...I got into jazz for school...It was either be a classical guitar major, or jazz studies..........so im studying jazz guitar. Jazz Guitarists dont get nearly the respect they deserve throughout history......

• Members

I like Jazz a lot. I started liking some Jazz influenced artist and songs which got me into it. I was also hanging out at an obscure pub at the time that had a great piano player who would play jazz and blues. His name was Gene Brown. Sadly he was murdered one night downtown.

• Members

Hmmmm,

Agreeing with previous posters here, but what about Django? Hot hot hot IMHO.

Good call! How could I have forgotten him when he's one of the very few jazz guitarists who've affected the development of the music as a whole rather than simply influencing other guitarists?

Archived