Planning the build...

u6crash

• Members

For years I've been wanting to build a guitar and have planned it and even made a couple half hearted attempts. Right now I'm saving my pennies and planning for January. I'm flexible on a few points and still trying to decide which parts to go with. Here are a couple mock ups and some of the specs I want:

mock_01.jpg

mock_02.jpg

The Constants

Body: Swamp Ash Strat style body w/ hardtail bridge

Neck: Maple/Maple neck, six in-line headstock, 22 frets, no inlays

Pickups: Single coil size. Otherwise flexible.

The Variables

The top configuration represents the most radical options. Two knobs instead of three (either push/pulls or concentric pots), Little '59s in the bridge and neck, deep panel jack on the side instead of standard top mounted Strat jack.

The second image represents a much more tame version, a typical Strat setup (like I've come to love over the years), with the exception of a hardtail bridge and lack of inlays.

Both are shown with a three color burst, which I plan to do myself, but I may go with a sort of faux burst (yeah, it'll ruffle some feathers) applied with a paintbrush of flicked on using an old toothbrush. Photoshop mockups to follow.

I'm also uncertain about the component suppliers, but here are some that I'm considering:

Carvin: Most of this can be accomplished with the bolt kit. I could see buying the kit and swapping out the preassembled pickguard for something ele.

Pros: Truss rod adjustment at headstock, graphite stabilizing rods within, best value

Cons: Birdseye maple only available on fretboard (a chat with customer service may reveal otherwise), electrical components don't seem as "heavy duty"

Other limitations: Tilt back headstock only, limited to top mount jack,

Warmoth: I can get most of the items I need from here.

Pros: Birdseye maple available for whole neck, tilt or straight back headstock, truss rod adjustment at side, heel, or headstock. Might possibly go with a top routed body blank and carve the body out myself. This would save a few bucks and would prevent it from being an exact Strat body.

Cons: Price. After buying finishing products from ReRanch, I might squeak under $1000

Also researching some other places. BestGuitarParts.com has some better than Warmoth prices, but doesn't offer any necks. Of course, the more suppliers I order from in an effort to save a buck, the more I'm going to pay in shipping.

Anyway, chime in with what you like, what you don't, and what you would or wouldn't do. Having this all laid out in front of me, I'm a little tempted to go the Carvin route to save some money this time, and save the fancy stuff for a more experienced build. I have put together a Carvin bass kit previously with some success. To close this out, here are a few other color combinations:

mock_03.jpg

mock_04.jpg

• Members

Hmm very cool and so wicked of a coincidence, because I'm thinking of building a blonde Strat in Jan as well, but I think that I might just buy a painted HWY1 body from an Evilbay store and pick up an unfinished rosewood neck from Warmoth. I did check out the options you listed and you've done some good homework I think let us know how it goes! I'm gonna make a trip to Gui-tar center and test some necks out this weekend!

• Members

I wouldn't recommend cutting the body out on your own unless you have a good template and a router, alot of times when people freehand the bodies, they can really screw things up and end up with quite an odd looking strat.

Well, I do have a router, do have a Strat body in which to make a template from, and have experience really screwing up expensive guitar bodies :)

• Members

Okay, here's the part that's going to turn some folks off. This is a Photoshop mockup of the faux burst I am considering hand painting:

mockburst.jpg

I did this real quick this morning with a drawing tablet. In reality the lines would be more consistent in terms of thickness and in being parallel to one another. I'd hope to paint it with a fine brush with some reduced lacquer, but I'm still researching that. And the wood would be swamp ash instead of a flame maple.

This is where you tell me how awful it looks :D

• Members

Thanks. They may vary in thickness somewhat and won't be perfectly parallel, but will be a little more straightened out that this picture that I put together quick. I like the way it looks on the left side best. It seems like there is a bit much on the bottom.

Archived