Nut confusion....

FUBTAG

• Members

I would like to replace the nut on a few of my guitars. I am confused by something that I can't seem to put together. How do I know which nut is for which guitar? If I have an SX, A Fender MIM, and a Turner RS-6 (Electro-coustic) I am assuming all 3 are to differents specs. How do I go about measuring them up? What is it I am looking for? It doesn't seem like this is much discussed in the threads and websites I find. Just how to replace .. not what to replace them with.

Any help would be apprectiated ... thanks!

• Members

Usually specs on nuts can be grouped into fender, gibson and acoustic.

You kind of measure your existing nut and find something similar, sand/file to shape.

I use nut blanks and sand file shape them and use string files. some people just use a precut nut but you will need some sand paper/file to shape it a little to fit.

anyways - most fender style have a curved bottom and gibson style have a flat bottom. I suggest you pop out your nut and check the shape and size-

• Members

If you never put a nut in you better read up. To do a good job you really need nut files. Theu are gauged for string sizes. You also have to carefully measure the string depth and spacing as well. Buy extras because you may have to make many attempts to get it right first time. Nuts are made of many different materials. Bone, Bleached Bone, Durlon, Plastic, graphtech (Carbon Fiber), and Brass to name a few. All have different sound qualities. Also look into Earvana nuts. I have a few on my guitars and are pretty easy to install. The black ones are the best. They work great for lower register intonation correction. The drop down menus where the prices are give you a few generic sizes so be sure to measure you width first.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Also look into Earvana nuts. I have a few on my guitars and are pretty easy to install. The black ones are the best. They work great for lower register intonation correction. The drop down menus where the prices are give you a few generic sizes so be sure to measure you width first.

What's your experience with dropped tunings on earvana nuts? Do they still help intonation even if you're tuning in drop C, with .011 & .012 gauge strings?

Archived